Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,542   Online: 1021

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not a nice store. They need you more than you need them. Avoid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm glad someone brought up this topic. Nicholas had always been one of the unsolved mysteries for me. You look at their two page ads (and indeed, I still check their ads in some magazine from time to time...with a chuckle) and think they must be the best thing in town. Several visits to the shop left me wondering whether I'm at the right place, as it is an utter mess, grossly out of synch with what they put in the magazines.

Frome one of their ads: "Desirable Property Of Gentlemen (And Ladies)..."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can vouch for Ffordes, MXV and Mifsuds - all good stores, with helpful staff.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought a Rollei E3 many years ago from Nicholas for £180 and as I only live about 1.5 miles away from the shop I went in there the other day!

As has already been said nothing is ever priced...I was after some Sinar cables for the Copal shutter but he didn't have any. At the back of the shop were a couple of Rollie's on show...I asked how much the f2.8 one was and he said £1300, then he showed me a really beaten up old banger and said that was £450. I think when it comes to pricing Nicholas thinks of a price over the top and then doubles it!!!!!! His shop is very well stocked with second hand gear (the best in London in my opinion) but I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of getting money out of my wallet if he was the last dealer (photographic!) on earth. God know how much he would have wanted for the Sinar cables.

I think his 'assistants' from their appearance spend most of their time out the back smoking the weed (oh no...Nicholas doesn't like smoking)

If you are thinking of visiting the shop......He rarely opens before 10am

Cheers Dave
    Last edited by Dave Dawson; 04-17-2009 at 04:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Worry View Post
    Being a newcomer to film photography,I was looking to treat myself to a Rollieflex 6x6 TLR, and as I could not afford to purchase a brand new one I took the used route in hope of finding a good one.
    Fotofix in Plymouth have some Rolleiflex TLR`s in stock and are very polite and helpful.
    http://www.pixel-store.co.uk/classic.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few years ago, I traded some MF gear for a used F5 and got seriously ripped off by Nicolas in Camden and I would just love to see the store go out of business.

I am sickened that anyone can defend their actions as it is tantamount to theft. Being a cheeky chappy from Camden who's entitled to rip you off if you let them is not legally defensible. In the UK, as with most civilised consumer-oriented countries, there is legislation to protect us from the likes of Nicolas and they should, in my opinion, be subjected to serious scrutiny and prosecution for any wrong-doing.

If you look at the advertisement in Amateur Photographer (and you believe that they actually hold all the stock shown) you'll see that the prices are way above what similar equipment is advertised in other stores. I recommend you buy from ANYONE else. Ffordes, Mifsuds, Mr Cad, MXV are all very helpful and, in my experience, advertise and sell at a fair price.

If I am ever tempted back into that store (Nicolas), it will be whilst accompanied by a representative of the local Trading Standards team to ensure that either (a) I am treated fairly or (b) action is taken to prevent them fleecing the unsuspected.

Here's hoping they get what they deserve, sooner rather than later.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin