Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,927   Online: 1023

View Poll Results: Do you generally leave a filter on lenses for the purpose of protection?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do.

53 51.46%
  • No, I don't.

50 48.54%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    I agree on the "sometimes" so I didn't vote.
    Meant to add a realtime example of why my answer is sometimes. I use them occasionally, as others have suggested, if conditions warrant them for real protection.

I forgot and left one on while taking some pics of my grandson's third birthday. I caught a nice tight close-up of him blowing out the candles on his cake. As soon as the film was developed, a problem was obvious. There were three distinct bright spots perfectly aligned on his forehead. They matched the candle flame spacing perfectly. Apparently, the candle flame image reflected off the front lens surface and bounced off the back of the filter glass. Now if it had been digital, I guess I could have PS'd them out.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I only use a filter for protection in areas of blowing sand or salt spray.
    A filter is really no protection against lens damage if the camera is dropped or hits something. A metal lens hood is much better for this purpose as it is not likely to shatter and scratch the lens.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    A filter is really no protection against lens damage if the camera is dropped or hits something. A metal lens hood is much better for this purpose as it is not likely to shatter and scratch the lens.
    +1.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    When I fell, in China, on the cobblestone street, my camera hit the pavement on the edge of the filter. Cracked filter glass and dinged filter ring but no damage to the lens.
    And In our industrial world (Hamilton Ontario) there is always crap in the air. We are either victims or beneficieries of our past experience. Filters for me all the time, which since I always shoot black and white is an easy decision. I always want to make a contrast decision.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    35mm
    I chose "No" because the poll says "generally" - if you sometimes use one, then you generally don't leave it on the lens.

I've used a UV or clear filter when 1) I'm out in the rain or fog and will have to wipe the lens from time to time to continue shooting; and 2) sometimes I've actually use a UV filter for UV filtration when at high altitudes or the beach - it does seem to help in those situations.

Otherwise I don't bother with filters at all unless I want a specific effect, like soft-focus, polarizing, etc. If there is one filter I've been known to leave on the lens, it's a yellow (when shooting black-and-white) or an 81a (when shooting slide) outdoors.
    “For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am just waiting for the inevitable wiseguy to post the link to the fellow who smeared a magic marker on a filter and then said, look, you can barely see any effect on the image....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Generally no, unless there is an obvious hazard like crowds, sand, or sea spray. Otherwise, I use a filter if there is a photographic reason for it.
    Exactly my thoughts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only use a filter if there is an aesthetic reason for it, or when I'm at the beach - to protect the lens from sand and spray.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use one on any camera I carry around my neck. The 35mm an Mamiya 7 both have filters for most of their lenses. The 4x5 is filter free because not much is likely to happen because it is on a tripod. I will put one on the lens if there is sea spray. Given the amount of crap I end up removing from the front filters after a week of walking around I figure it's money well spent.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree.
    I clean filters often enough to be real glad i am cleaning filters, not repolishing the lens.

I will not propose a magic marker test, Keith, but will be the wise guy who asks the "No"-faction if they have tried to see the amount of image degradation a filter causes?

And yes, i have.
    So i have no qualms whatsoever about putting a filter on the lens.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin