Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,903   Posts: 1,555,829   Online: 756

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    She was 100% wrong, but unfortunately it's often the rule around Federal areas in DC. It's completely arbitrary and every officer and security guard is a law unto themselves. Sometimes they wrongly restrict you and sometimes they don't. After 9/11, laws and due process got thrown out the window. Gives em something for their incident logs, I guess.

Not just DC. In Texas, cops interpret the law the same way. When I am approached by the law over some minutia(sp?), I am convinced they are really just bored, and most of lapses in their judgement can be blamed on boredom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Reread your post. You did call me "the good slave they want you to be." You chose those words.
    I said "just like......" which is spoken from a position of comparitive conjecture, not as a matter of fact.

Sorry to be the subjective cause of your being angry. I will refrain from comparing you in the future to anything.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SharpMonkey View Post
    I said "just like......" which is spoken from a position of comparitive conjecture, not as a matter of fact.

Sorry to be the subjective cause of your being angry. I will refrain from comparing you in the future to anything.
    Partisan politics and arguments like this are a major distraction that we've got to get past.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    Partisan politics and arguments like this are a major distraction that we've got to get past.
    Perhaps we should just stop having all conversations unless they are conversations of love and mutual respect and back-stroking so that nobody gets their feelings hurt. And then we can ignore the problems of the world as if they weren't there. We could pretend like the greatest robbery of all history didn't happen and all the party players thereof (of which the Federal Reserve which is a non-governmental entity is a member), were simply doing their job and we should not question them or their motives.

On second hand thought, I think that is what "they" would want us to do. Nobody questioning them. Nobody standing against their usurped power. Everyone singing Kum-Bah-Yah and having love-fests around the campfire, roasting marshmallows with Stepfordville smiles on their faces.

:rolleyes:
    Last edited by Perry Way; 02-26-2009 at 12:12 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add "...didn't happen..." cuz it got cut off
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

photo law

www.photolawnews.com

ran across this site,some interesting articles, not sure how old.

Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    She was polite and did not give the guy a hard time at all. She was informative and told him over and over again what he had to do.
    I agree, and this is IMHO why this is important.

If someone in authority is polite and informative, while they may be wrong, they believe they are right, and are most likely to respond positively to learning what is in fact right.

You probably cannot do the teaching right there, but there is a decent chance that subsequent contact with her supervisors may result in her doing the right thing the next time, and every time therafter.

I've worn a uniform, and been in a position of authority like this (customs officer) and last time I checked, I was human then (and thus capable of getting it wrong).

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SharpMonkey View Post
    Perhaps we should just stop having all conversations unless they are conversations of love and mutual respect and back-stroking so that nobody gets their feelings hurt. And then we can ignore the problems of the world as if they weren't there. We could pretend like the greatest robbery of all history didn't happen and all the party players thereof (of which the Federal Reserve which is a non-governmental entity is a member), were simply doing their job and we should not question them or their motives.
    We're on the same page here. Fighting between ourselves draws attention away from where it ought to be placed; on the richest, greediest motherfuckers to ever rob the world blind (and by this I mean the bankers responsible for destroying their companies and sending the economy into a spin while taking home enormous *personal* profits, as well as the defense industry war profiteers), and on their legacy of reduced personal and press freedoms.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    are most likely to respond positively to learning what is in fact right.
    Hah! The police you've been talking to are likely a very different species from most of the ones I've ever encountered. Perhaps you're thinking of the German tourist police; those sexy blonde 20-something women who smile and greet you in Berlin. But they don't count as police officers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=walter23;759347]
    are most likely to respond positively to learning what is in fact right.QUOTE]

Haha, the police officers you've met are apparently a very different species from many of the ones I've met.

I've not only met police officers, I've cross-examined them under oath .

It helps to understand a bit where they are coming from.

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've not only met police officers, I've cross-examined them under oath .

It helps to understand a bit where they are coming from.
    The difference probably lies in what your relationship to the police officer is. A person accused of a crime (and I mean even a stupid thing that's not a crime, like photographing something from a public street) may find that pointing out where a police officer is wrong is just going to increase his immediate hassles, no matter how politely he points that out. The exception might be where the police officer does in fact realize (s)he is wrong and understands the legal ramifications of arresting someone for something that isn't illegal (of course they can invent all sorts of things anyway; disorderly conduct or some such crap).

I mean, if you're some kind of fellow officer (customs you said?) or other person in the legal system, you're going to have a very different experience of the police you meet - you're not going to be under their authority, dealing with the pointy end of their figurative stick.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin