Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,636   Online: 1131

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    what is the point of this thread ?
    Last edited by jnanian; 02-26-2009 at 07:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In '05 we drove by the Pentagon in a tour buy, just before we got to the Pentagon the driver came on the speaker and said put all cameras and recording devices away because if anyone is seen taking a picture by police the bus will be pull over, searched and all cameras will be take off. Anyone who is identified as a picture taker will be taken off and arrested. He said it happened once before to him that year. You can take all the photo's you want of pieces at the Smithsonian.

For a while I felt like I was in a Communist Block Country.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04150 copy.jpg  
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    what is the point of this thread ?
    The point is that we're living in a police state where the most minute aspects of our lives are interefered with by mindless goons. So be careful where you take pictures or you could find yourself on the wrong end of a nightstick.

I apologize for starting the thread in the wrong section. It should be moved to the Lounge or the Soapbox.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    The point is that we're living in a police state where the most minute aspects of our lives are interefered with by mindless goons. So be careful where you take pictures or you could find yourself on the wrong end of a nightstick.

I apologize for starting the thread in the wrong section. It should be moved to the Lounge or the Soapbox.
    your a defending some guy, who knowingly broke the law
    to make a video for his u tube resume.
    we live in a police state ... all because the federal officer told him that he was welcome to make his video but he needed a permit? he wasn't handcuffed, beaten and hauled away as you suggest might happen to me if i am not "careful".
    i have been photographing federal sites for almost 20 years -- with a permit, and never had a problem.
    i usually tell law enforcement if i am going to be someplace sensitive so they can watch MY BACK.
    there are a lot of jerks in this country who harass people who aren't like everyone else or milk-toast white,

i don't see what the problem is --- if you want to photograph certain things, you need a permit ..

you better not go to boston, and make photographs at the christian science mother church. they require permits too.
    Last edited by jnanian; 02-27-2009 at 09:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "your a defending some guy, who knowingly broke the law "

John, exactly what law was being broken? I think that's the point of this whole thread and the video. Please cite the law with a reference, because our understanding is-- there is no law that prevents or restricts photographing federal buildings from public property.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    barry

i will search for the law ..

it was in the books before 1995, and enforced
    more after the Alfred P. Murrah Building bombing,
    and still more after 9-11.

title41CFR 102-74.420A
    title41CFR 102-74.420B
    title41CFR 102-74.420C

the federal reserve is not under the protection of the federal protective agency
    they have their own rules and regulations regarding
    photographing and video of their property.

====
    Last edited by jnanian; 02-27-2009 at 01:30 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added later

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    there is no law that prevents or restricts photographing federal buildings from public property.
    Exactly.

The danger is in the mindset. To be harassed by some Deputy Dawg rent-a-cop while on public property about collecting photons of light shocks the very conscience of the law. Does the FED own the sun now?

There is no glimmer left of the spirit of liberty in Washington, DC. Not the merest glimmer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Good work John. Ok, lets see what we've got and parse it out. First of all it applies to "persons entering in or on Federal property". It's clear it applies to people actually on Federal property, but the phrase "entering in" is a little vague. I think a reasonable interpretation would cover being on a walkway or driveway that leads to a Federal building, but is itself on Federal property. If you're walking by or standing outside of a Federal property and are not in the act of "entering in", I don't see the regulation as applicable.

Looking at (c), I see that "Building entrances, lobbies, foyers, corridors, or auditoriums for news purposes." may be photographed without "written permission of an authorized official of the occupying
    agency concerned".

I think security services and officers are misinterpreting subparts A and B to include any photography of Federal buildings when it seems clear you must be entering in or on Federal property. Since there is a whole class of Federal property public space (entrances, corridors, etc.) that don't require authorization, I can't see how the regulations would increase as you moved away and off of Federal property.

Finally, the regulation only covers "photographs for news, advertising or commercial purposes", not photography for personal or artistic use.

[Code of Federal Regulations]
    [Title 41, Volume 3]
    [Revised as of July 1, 2008]
    From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
    [CITE: 41CFR102-74.420]

[Page 212]

TITLE 41--PUBLIC CONTRACTS AND PROPERTY MANAGEMENT

CHAPTER 102--FEDERAL MANAGEMENT REGULATION

PART 102-74_FACILITY MANAGEMENT--Table of Contents

Subpart C_Conduct on Federal Property

Sec. 102-74.420 What is the policy concerning photographs for news,

advertising or commercial purposes?

Except where security regulations, rules, orders, or directives
    apply or a Federal court order or rule prohibits it, persons entering in
    or on Federal property may take photographs of--
    (a) Space occupied by a tenant agency for non-commercial purposes
    only with the permission of the occupying agency concerned;
    (b) Space occupied by a tenant agency for commercial purposes only
    with written permission of an authorized official of the occupying
    agency concerned; and
    (c) Building entrances, lobbies, foyers, corridors, or auditoriums
    for news purposes.
    Last edited by Barry S; 02-27-2009 at 02:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gee whiz... what country do you folks live in? In the capitol city of my country just last week I took pictures on two different days of the capital building and the nations highest court. At the capitol I stood right next to the military/police guard. We smiled at each other and he stepped out of my way when I raised the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the federal reserve is private property ..

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin