Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,417   Online: 904

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

You can't take pictures of Federal Buildings

Didn't know that, did you?

[youtube]sA8-CxZkZZg[/youtube]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    She was polite and did not give the guy a hard time at all. She was informative and told him over and over again what he had to do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess the question is, was she right? Or is this another of the many episodes of making up the law as we go along.

DaveT

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What day of the week was this person working I wonder? I'm tempted to go put this to the test with a view camera, and a few ex-colleagues who still work at the Fed in tow.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    This lady knows nothing. Too bad cops never have to read the US Constitution, especially when they swear an oath to uphold the US Constitution.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As widespread at this sort of nonsense seems to be, one can only assume that the officers on the beat are simply not getting adequate training in these issues. They can't all be that ignorant--I hope.

I hope someone here chimes in with an explanation of what the law actually states; it should not surprise anyone if the clowns in Congress haven't indeed passed a law to prohibit photographing certain federal buildings. After all, they regularly pass laws for the rest of us from which they are exempt (Social Security tax, for instance....)
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    I guess somebody should turn me in, then... I took a photo of a federal building in Wilmington, NC last weekend.

I think the Federal Reserve Bank buildings do receive some extra security considerations, however I used to walk past the one in Charlotte everyday, almost always with a camera, and I am certain I've photographed that building (not that the photos were very impressive, it's just a big modern brick building...). Nobody ever approached me but this was before 9/11. I've checked online and so far I haven't found anything specific prohibiting photography of federal buildings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another instant law maker.

God this country needs more people like this!

Just wrote to my senator; suggest you send something to your lawmakers as well, bringing this problem to their attention.

This has to stop!
    Last edited by Kino; 02-25-2009 at 07:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    She was 100% wrong, but unfortunately it's often the rule around Federal areas in DC. It's completely arbitrary and every officer and security guard is a law unto themselves. Sometimes they wrongly restrict you and sometimes they don't. After 9/11, laws and due process got thrown out the window. Gives em something for their incident logs, I guess.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    She was polite and did not give the guy a hard time at all. She was informative and told him over and over again what he had to do.
    Polite and informative, but 100% wrong. Of course you can take all the pictures you want with any sort of equipment you want. The man was on a public sidewalk on Constitution Avenue, for cryin' out loud. The Fed is not a Federal building anyway. It would have been different if he had been on private property rather than on a public sidewalk.

The National Academy of Sciences next door to the Fed has much more interesting grounds, by the way, and they won't hassle you.
    Last edited by c6h6o3; 02-25-2009 at 08:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin