Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,690   Online: 781

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    A submersible pump? Would you put it in a bucket or something, and maybe get a float switch?
    If it was me, and I wanted to maximize functionality without a major replumbing, I'd do exactly that. The sink would drain into a 5 gal bucket and a submersible pump from the bucket to the drain.

Now, the apartment is on the second floor. Assuming the pipe runs straight down at least a couple feet, one could possibly stuff one of those check-valve-ended quick-siphon hoses down the pipe low enough to simply start a siphon.
    My guess is that you'd tire of this fairly quickly. I'd be easier to go to your funnel approach. I'd use one of those large funnels with the long flexible spout.

I think gravity feed is the way to go. If I get a pump like that I can never brush my teeth or shave in the sink, which I may want to do, having only one each of wife and bathroom. It's true that the sink will be inconveniently high, but at least I'm tall.
    I'm not sure that a pump would preclude tooth brushing or shaving. Certainly a sump type pump would not. But I agree that gravity feed is best (gravity hasn't failed us for many, many years ). But, even without a trap under the sink, it likely would raise the sink up high. If not too high, that's the way to go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    ...gravity hasn't failed us for many, many years ...
    It has on occasion here in earthquake village.

Back on topic, I'd go with a 5-gallon bucket containing float switch-controlled submersible sump pump. Not too expensive and mighty convenient. It could empty through a clothes washer drain hose. They have a U at the end to hook into that 4-foot high wall drain pipe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently picked up a discontinued utility sink complete with legs and faucet for about $30 at the local Big Box. It's around 2X2X1.5 Feet. I don't think you'll have much success draining into the wash drain without a pump though. The water has to be lifted around two feet to get to the drain. The five gallon bucket with a fountain pump should work but probably wont keep up if you're trying to wash with a constant flow.
    What about finding a sump pump on craigslist? just set it in the bottom of the sink & let it run.
    I use an upside down plastic milk crate to set a dishwash tub on. You could put a sump pump under a milk crate.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    What about finding a sump pump on craigslist? ...
    Or try here: http://www.dallas-habitat.org/outlet/index.php

(The OP was in Dallas I believe.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Even though we aren't completely moved in yet, I already got a small stainless-steel bathroom sink on craigslist, with one of the high-looping faucets that you can easily stick stuff under. I also bought all the plumbing I should need to directly drain it into the drain and some 2x2s to build a frame for it. Since it's fairly shallow it will only end up about 6-inches higher than a typical bathroom sink, which is too short and makes you lean over anyway IMO. I'll post pictures eventually.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I built a portable plumbing unit including a variable temp shower valve using copper tubing and solder. There was a thermometer attachment used to be sold in photo stores that took a dial thermometer. All I have to do is pound a nail in the wall in the right place to hang it up, connect it to the outlets with laundry hoses, and turn it on. I had great temperature controlled water. I used ball valves for hot, cold, and tempered water. If I need to move, I undo the hoses, drain it, and put it in a box.

It looks like a strange musical instrument, but works great.

Oh yes, for a drain, I got a switch at Sears (I don't know what you would find there today) that had a switch controlled by a float. I happened to have a pump. The water drained into a five gallon plastic bucket, and when that got full the pump turned on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    I built a portable plumbing unit including a variable temp shower valve ...
    Did you find the shower valve "precise" enough? I.E. could you alter the temp in 1 or 2 degree increments?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    Did you find the shower valve "precise" enough? I.E. could you alter the temp in 1 or 2 degree increments?
    I could do c41 and e6 with it - until the hot water started to run out, that is. Watch out for other people using the water, though; that can effect the temp.

It isn't as good as the Wing Lynch unit, or that other one that some apug folks are using -- the computerized ones -- but it beats two faucets with a big stick. It is plenty good enough for black and white processes.

Shooter
    35mm
    I installed the sink temporarily last night. Since my faucet is only a cold-water faucet and I have a tee-fitting running to both hot and cold water, I stuck my digital thermometer in the running water and adjusted the two source spigots for a steady 21C. I'll have to see how consistent that is. Although I will be using my 5-gallon container of room temperature deionized water for development anyway.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    The drain is about 4 feet high, up with the spigots, so if I put in a sink it would have to be like a foot higher than a normal bathroom sink, not that that's a problem.
    If that's a little too high to be comfortable, you might be able to use a high stool or chair (like a bar stool) to help matters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin