Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,804   Online: 828

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Things are moving along with my darkroom construction (a garage being converted to a room). It's time to start thinking about light proofing it. It's a multipurpose room with a door in the front and the rear. I've had the builder build a sheet rock (or gib for the international crowd) box around each door which creates a small hallway. I figure, have a darkcloth in the middle of this microhallway, and have another at the end which faces the inside of the room. This should help with my paranoia of light leaks. I'm looking for a fabric to use for the curtains. I've seen the stuff some people attach to their house curtains to reduce light but am not sure if that's good enough? Are there any companies that make heavy dark cloth material at a reasonable price cut to spec? Or should I make my own? The lab I used at college had one of those rotary doors, would love to have 2 of them but am not rich! Thanks for any info. I searched the forums but didn't find much.

Calumet sell blackout material.

Also a fabric store may have some sort of black material for lining drapes that is light tight.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heck, an ordinary door works for both ends of the light lock. If need be, look for blackout curtains at a good fabric store. My darkroom doesn't have a light lock, just a well sealed door. Very little light makes it through in daylight and the interior light outside the door at night hardly touches it.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sean:

i use heavy cloth ( black ) it is almost like canvas for a door. i think in the fabric industry they call it "duck cloth" .. but i don't know for sure
    im empty, good luck

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For many years my darkroom was my kitchen - which didn't have a door. I came across a black PVC shower curtain (!) and hung that across the doorway - and a black binliner over the window.

It doesn't necessarily take much!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Images
    When I was a kid, I had a corner of the garage that I turned into a darkroom by having black plastic curtains. They rolled up when not in use.

In the optics lab at work, where money is no object, they use very heavy black fabric, possibly several layers, to block out stray light and stray lasers.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a window in my darkroom, I use black out vinal which is larger than the window then along the edges: at the hardware store they have garage borders for keeping dirt from blowing under the door their a plastic mold with a hard tongue looking thing molded along the length. Once I pull down the curtain I tuck the edges into the molded tongue, boom lights gone! I have no idea what this trim is called but it is in the garage door dept.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomassauerwein
    I have a window in my darkroom, I use black out vinal which is larger than the window then along the edges:
    I have the same arrangement semi-permanently anchored with black duck tape around the edges. Top tip - Put up a white (or pale-coloured) blind between the vinyl and the window. I didn't and the damn thing is like a radiator when the sun shines on it, making the darkroom nearly unusable in the summer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean, I think the door will catch most of the light - IF you run some sort of insulating material (foam, rubber, etc) around the door frame. That's what I did on mine..plus I added heavy dark cloth at the bottom. Been thinking of just using the black-out cloth from Calument (Porter's Cameras may have this, too!) and hang it over the doorway with a curtin rod. But then my dark room has only one door, and is only 8x10. With the monster enlarger, you need a monster dark room.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have one door in my darkroom (shed) and it blocks most of the light. In addition, I stuck some foam draught excluder along the side of the door frame and a 2" strip of 1/4" plywood along the closing edge of the door so that it covers the gap between door and frame to act as a final light trap. My wife made me a door snake, a material tube filled with grain, to lay along the bottom of the door when it's closed. If you do need a curtain try some heavy velvet on a pole, I used this method in another darkroom many years ago and it worked as was not expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin