Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,680   Online: 846

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Feisol 3441SB Travel Tripod 1st Impressions

Well, I decided that the big bogen tripod that I have used for all my photo needs was too bulky/heavy for my traveling needs. As I have the pleasure of traveling for a living, I thought it foolish to not have a tripod that could follow me. Most of what I do is medium format although I also wanted the ability to put my Tachihara or Speed Graphic on a more stable platform than my shaky--I had 40 cups of airline coffee today--hands. I decided that the Feisol 3441SB looked like it would fit the bill just right. The tripod arrived today and I am very pleased with my choice. Light? This thing is a feather compared to the aluminum bogen. The legs looks tiny, especially the lowest section, but are remarkably stable. I am 6' 3" and the highest position is level with my forehead when using a 35mm. It comes with a no-frills carrying case, ball head, and a mounting plate. I opted to get some spikes for the legs and another plate(the long one--it comes with a square plate). The longer plate fits perfect between the base "bars" of the Speed. To test how stable the whole thing was I put an RB with a tele-extender and a 250mm lens (this combination resembles a howitzer)--no issues at all. In fact, the longer base plate allows one to improve the balance of the camera over the ball head by creating about 2" of travel. This worked well on the RB and with a long 35mm lens using a lens mounted tripod shoe. I am very impressed with the overall fit and fininsh of the carbon fiber as well as all the hardware. If anyone is looking for a light compact travel tripod I would not hesitate to pick one up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Matt, any post 1st impressions of the Feisol 3441 tripod? I'm looking at the same model. My RB with a 180mm lens weights 5.5 lbs and my 4x5 wood field camera without a lens weighs 5.5 lbs, the same. These weigh way less than the maximum weight specified for the tripod and head. Rigidity and lack of vibration though are very important.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I bought a Feisol for the same reasons. I can't remember the model name but it is medium sized, 3 piece legs, ("Tournament" legs) and cost about $300.

I am very pleased. I use it with an Arca Z1 ball head. I took a recent photo trip with an Arca Swiss F-Line Metric (not massive, but no lightweight) without a problem using focal lengths up to 300 mm. I took photos on windy days with the 300 mm without camera shake. I did take care to shield it from the wind though. The legs fold up to enclose the ball head when transporting so it fit easily in my suitcase. It is very lightweight and seems solid and durable.

My other tripods are Bogen, Berlebach, and Gitzo. The Feisol is clearly the best for travelling. I am fond of the Berlebach but it loses big-time on the weight.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Jerold, I caught the information on the other thread and appreciate your added information here. My Berlebach and Bogen 3047 weighs 9.5 lbs. Beautiful tripod but not a traveler.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Curt,

I have put a RB67 with 2X and 250mm lens, Speed Graphic, Rolleiflex 2.8, and a Mamiya 645 210mm with 2X extender is on it right now. No problems. I bought it because I travel for a living(I'm a pilot) and I don't have much space up front for extra bulk. As far as vibration goes--Its a lightweight tripod. My bogen aluminum beast is better, but if you are realistic the Feisol works just fine. I am also 6' 3" and this thing extends higher than I need it to. I would also buy the larger base plate--It gives you some flexibilty with respect to centering the cameras weight over the tripod. Its a great product if you understand its limitations (those being camera lens weight and extra long extensions). As a side note, I also bought the Urban Disguise 60 bag--check them out if you are in the market and travel with a laptop/camera.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I love mine too. I use it with my 4x5 and Hasselblad (only 150mm lens, though) and it is more solid than the bogen I had (3201?). I have the smaller Kirk head on it (BH3 I think) and it is a great match for it. I can't imagine needing a beefer tripod for the way I use it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin