Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,404   Online: 722

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Wireless shutter release.

I need a radio type release with minature (2.5mm.) jack at receiver end. Any ideas anyone?
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm guessing you're talking about a wireless remote shutter release here - like a wireless cable release. There was an outfit out of China on ebay that was selling these for about $50.00. I bought one and subsequently the items were removed by Ebay. I assumed I'd lost my money. But no - the item arrived, (registered mail from China no less) and it works a treat. I got the one with a Nikon plug but they did seem to advertise a range with different end plugs. Can't tell you why eBay pulled it and I was very surprised when it showed up.

If it's wireless strobe triggers you're talking about I think pocket wizard or quantum are probably the best. However, fotodiox out of Illinois have very good 16 channel triggers with two receivers for around $150. These have 1/4" connectors but come with two 1/8' adapters. I have one of these sets and it works very well. The two receivers are useful as with some lighting set-ups the light from the main strobe often doesn't trigger a "hidden" secondary fill. The second wireless receiver takes care of this.

Hope this helps.

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are still several sellers from China offering radio (camera) remotes. Depending on which seller you find, they go for as low as approx. US$15 - 20, inclusing shipping.

People generally are wary of Chinese goods and sellers, but i have bought several, from different sellers too, and only found very fast and trustworthy sellers. And the units work perfectly fine.

People in the US and Europe have found these thingies too, and often offer them for anything from 5x the price you can get them for in China.
    So before spending too much money, first search eBay and see where you can get the same items for much less.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I purchased two of these from Ebay from this vendor

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Remote-...3A1%7C294%3A50

one for my G10 which uses the 2.5mm plug, and another for my D-80 which uses the 4 pin nikon proprietary plug. I would say that they work as advertised. I have nothing to do with this vendor (just FYI).

Here is a quick impression, from my motorcycle/scooter BLOG:

http://wetcoastscootin.blogspot.com/...freexwire.html

I also have Quantum FreeXwire's and made up the 2.5mm MD cable for my G10. so instead of paying $89. from B&H, it only cost less than $10. for parts and solder. Upon my recommendation, my cousin also purchased one for his XSi, and I must say that they work perfectly for only US$35. The MD cable for the FreeXwire can also be used with the PocketWizard, same pin/focus configuration.
    Last edited by bobwith2bees; 03-03-2009 at 02:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes - mine's fine. I'm not sure why Ebay pulled the listing. I've seen other things on there with far more reason for intervention.
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replies and links folks. I am investigating further. I'm slightly puzzled, these gadgets appear to be aimed at digital gear. All I need is a simple wireless trigger to trip the shutter via a power winder, (OM system) hence the 2.5mm jack, no auto-focus required. I will study further, just as soon as I can get some time.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Allan:

no problem, this cable will work with a manual camera without autofocus. On a 2 step MD cable, first would be to autofocus, then it trips the shutter but it happens in milliseconds. On a camera such as yours where you only have to "cross" two wires together, then this unit should work.
    Leica "M": M6, CL - LTH: II, IIa, IIb, IIIf * Tessina - Mamiya: M7, 645Pro, M645 * Pano: Horizon 202, Noblex 150F, Russian FT-2 * Rollei: 35"s", 35"T' 110: E110, A110 * Zeiss: SuperIkonta: A, C, Contax T, T2, Q139 * Misc: Moskva 6x9, Mamiya6 folder, Certo Dollina, Certo Six, Fuji GSW690III, Zorki 1, Fuji Mini Demi, Petri Jr - Minox 8mm: III,IIIs,B, BL, LX, EC, AX

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Indeed.
    The advertising may mention all kinds of 'sophisticated' cameras, the thingies themselves only perform a very simple task, and will do exactly what you are looking for.

The simplest, and cheapest, model of the chinese radio remotes (same manufacturer, same electronics inside) is the one in eBay #250374159205 (and others). Again, shop around a bit to find the lowest price.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I found the Phottix Cleon to be a real bargain at ~$37 with shipping off eBay from China. I got one with a molded 10-pin Nikon plug that has the locknut retainer, and would have gladly paid as much for the plug end alone. I modified mine by splicing in a 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo in line jack and plug so that I can use it with any and all of my electrically triggered cameras. One issue to note however, is the slight but noticeable time lag with this Cleon release, perhaps on the order of a 1/8 sec. If this is critical you may want to investigate using a Pocket Wizard transceiver pair instead.

The two-stage triggers do a nice job of waking up your camera's metering from sleep as would a half depress of the shutter release-- but you may not even have to use it with your OM-1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin