Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,183   Online: 687

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On a whim I had ordered a Hassy 40mm ugly, looked like it had been on the extra dry cycle of a clothes dryer. It did work, but I sent it back. Just didn't know how much life was left, and there were a few more marks on the glass than I like.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    ... or flag ugly?
    I hesitate to ask....
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's ok mike, you're likely not old enough to know the reference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I'm going for it. I ordered a 360mm for my RB67, graded as ugly. We'll see what happens. The rest of my RB gear is pretty rough, much nastier than any of the bargain grade stuff I've gotten from KEH so perhaps that 360 will feel right at home. Cant complain much for $99 with full return rights. I also grabbed a bargain grade 150mm soft focus (with the discs). Got both the #1 and #2 extension tubes too...My bank account hates KEH, but I personally like this shopping for camera gear at home at 10:45pm.
    Once it all gets here I'll post some comments about the 360, perhaps some pictures too.

Ed
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I don't order UG grade for lenses as the description says that their function may be affected--I don't want to take that chance with glass. I have, however, bought a Hasselblad body and a couple other things with that grade and have been pleased. The body had some of the leatherette coming up which warranted the grade (according to keh--I just hit it with some glue).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I order a Bronica 645 lens 100-220 that was rated ugly. When I received it, it was like new. I called KEH to make sure the correct lens was sent. Their reply, "yes it was and reminded that I had some time to return the lens if I was not happy." Well I kept it because it was a beauty and everything worked perfectly.

Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm hoping for one like you got Edwardv. Cosmetics I'm not too worried about, but the glass...ya gotta have good glass.
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Really? Are you sure?

I know most feel it's of critical importance, but perhaps you can explain how this lens:

(and a Componon, no less, not even a Symmar) on 8x10 can make images that are razor sharp:

yes I know about the vignetting, it was hard enough composing in very dim light, exposure was in the 20-30 second range. There's a resounding belief that if your lens isn't absolutely perfect, that it's useless. While I'd love to have everybody believe that, as it would cost me far less to buy odds and ends, it's not always true. Granted, at 10x, which in this case would put us at a 80x100 inch print, you would likely see some effect, I'd imagine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What the heck is that, a squashed fly? :o Trust me, if the lens shows up with some marks on the glass I'll test it before sending it back. I've seen some pretty bad lenses make some fine pictures, but that "thing" on yours is right up there with the worse of them!

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought and used a Nikon 28-85 mm for many years, then while cleaning it I noted there was a small dead spider inside. I thought about having it cleaned, then I decided to keep shooting. The lens was KIA (felt from height in Instanbul) many years later... I bought a 28-70 as a replacement and out of curiosity I took a picture identical to one I took with the 28-85. The spider made no difference in the comparison.

Anyway, an ugly lens gives exactly the same picture of a mint one, as long as the uglyness is in the outside. I bought an ugly Sigma 400 mm for 30$, found that the glass was OK, it was only heavily scratched in the barrel. Check the glass, it is the only thing that will make the difference.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin