Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,723   Online: 774

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    nope, huge chunk out of the front element, some black paint to fill it in and it was good to go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That reminds me of an ugly rb lens that I promised to send to Erie (sorry!)....

I bought an "ugly" mamiya rb lens for purposes of excising the leaf shutter. The thing arrived and I thought, wait, this thing is actually quite good, better than some of the other lenses that I use! But nevertheless I really wanted to get at that leaf shutter and it's in my nature to take things apart. So I pulled out the toolkit and attempted to unscrew the rear element... unfortunately the screw heads were long gone, somebody else must have had similar ill intent toward this particular lens.

I decided to appply the logic of particle physics and simply destroy the lens in order to determine its inner secrets. So I pulled out the hammer and thwacked the front element as hard as I could. Nothing but a small chip. Thwacked it again, as hard as I could, nothing. I then dropped the lens from head height onto cement, not much happened except the cement was chipped. Now after further abuse (throwing, hammering, jumping upon) I did manage to chip up the rear element pretty well. But still she never yielded and the leaf shutter is still in there, silently mocking me. The lens is held together by gluons. (That's why you never got the lens, Erie; I still hold out the hope that one day I will defeat this lens)

I think I will propose to the US military that we lob RB lenses at our enemies rather than depleted uranium. Probably cheaper and less scary sounding when described in the media.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ugly buy, the result

Well the UPS guy showed up today with my KEH graded ugly, Mamiya Sekor 360mm f6.3 lens. I am to say the least pleased with what I got. A couple of small marks on the outside of the lens barrel but nothing bad at all, you pretty much have to search them out. The shutter sounds good (I'll try to shoot some test shots tomorrow), speed and aperture rings feel excellent. The glass, well the glass is the crux of the matter isn't it? The glass looks really really nice. Overall its very clean with just a little dust inside, but nothing that will hurt anything. Why is it an ugly lens you ask. Well thats a good question but I'm guessing its due to the number engraved on the back side of the mount and maybe the sticky labels on the barrel.
    Now of course I figure I just got lucky, the next ugly grade lens I buy might look like it lost a battle with a small tank but this time I think I did OK!
    Last edited by EdColorado; 04-11-2009 at 05:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
    Really? Are you sure?

I know most feel it's of critical importance, but perhaps you can explain how this lens (snip)
    WOW!

That's amazing! Guess I'll stop avoiding the Graflex Optar 135mm lens I have on a ragged Speed Graphic (looks like it was cleaned with a brillo pad on a regular basis) and waste a few sheets on it!

Might have a "custom diffusion" lens and not know it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ed,

Just got my ugly, as-is RB 180C, damned if I can see anything wrong with it, looks better than the one I have now. Decisions, decisions. Now the Nikon 20 3.5 has filter ring dents, oil on the aperture blades and is in need of some TLC, though the images with the D#$%# camera look fantastic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just received another KEH care package including a 65mm RB lens. This one was a bargain grade and is the roughest item I've ever received from them. The glass and functions though are great, just the barrel finish is um, well used. Still, if it paints a nice image on the film plane its all good!
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin