Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,046   Online: 767

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    You dont need a dark room? Oh well maybe Ill look into that! Thanks for the suggestions so far.
    Do they make modern folders that I could just attach a vintage lens to? I ask because unlike that auction above I find most look very worn and worry they wont work well if at all.

Speed graphic. You can mount anything on one of those. A 4x5 one is my preference but you might like the miniature one with a 120 roll film holder as it would be more convenient (though I prefer 4x5 sheet film processing; spooling up rolls of film for development is a pain in the ass compared to dealing with sheets of film in the dark, but of course sheet film is more expensive - probably 2 or 3 times the cost per shot compared to 120 roll film).

Ask the seller about the focal plane shutter (to make sure its working properly). Ask about the bellows. Make sure the back is functional and the ground glass is included.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    well as for image quality I want photos to come out looking old. Not perfect. But somewhat clear. Im a fan of how black and white holga photos look, but wanted something a little more authentic. When you say 'ground glass' and other things I dont understand, is there a site dedicated to these cameras that would explain all about them you recommend?

http://largeformatphotography.info/forum

Or the large format forum here.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Nev
    Shooter
    Holga
    OOh Cyanotypes in Coffee look great and so do gandolfi's photos! Wow. Great suggestions thanks, Ill definitely experiment with those ideas. Its a great look that could work well with what I would like to do. Especially gandolfi's...

Nev
    Shooter
    Holga
    Ive noticed a couple shops online aside from ebay like http://www.ritzcam.com/catalog
    With your experience, which do you think is one of the better places to buy from?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ive noticed a couple shops online aside from ebay like http://www.ritzcam.com/catalog
    With your experience, which do you think is one of the better places to buy from?
    I've bought film and supplies from Freestyle.
    I've bought film, supplies and equipment from Adorama (their ratings can be somewhat optimistic compared to KEH, IMO) and B&H
    I've bought used equipment from KEH

You will probably pay a premium buying from these shops though (although there's less risk buying from them in terms of quality of what you're buying)

In terms of equipment (lenses actually), everything I've bought through the above has been modern for my 35mm/digital SLR. All my vintage/MF/LF has come from ebay or sellers here on APUG. If you have a good idea of what you're looking for, you can post a WTB classified here.

Dan

Nev
    Shooter
    Holga
    Yeah that might be an idea. Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you are willing to pay a bit more for a reconditioned folder (good idea in my opinion), you might want to contract the ebay seller certo6 and let him know what you are looking for. I suspect he could set you up nicely (and reliably) for not too much money. The other choice someone mentioned is a simple box camera (Agfa Clack for example).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Kodak Autographic 1A's take 120 roll film (well, not exactly, but 120 film does work- might need to shave down the spools a little to get it to turn easier), and will definitely give you the look you want, and a 6x9cm negative to boot, which makes for a nice contact print size. You can usually pick them up on the super cheap (under $20).

Nev
    Shooter
    Holga
    Ill keep an eye out for a Kodak Autographic 1A. I saw one earlier but it said Jr. in the title. Is there a difference?
    Are there any shops online you recommend I look aside from ebay?

Take a look at this womans photos, she is making pictures the way I would like to. With most, even the color shots. I think the blurr and dust is great. I originally wondered if it was photoshop. This is close to what I would like to achieve.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/whiteli...7607535219068/
    Last edited by Nev; 03-11-2009 at 10:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The best place to find things like the Autographic is to look in your local thrift stores/antiques shops/etc. You can get the dust from just being really sloppy with your process.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin