Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,764   Posts: 1,484,069   Online: 1108

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Nev
    Shooter
    Holga

Vintage Photography - What to use and buy

I really wanted to create some vintage photographs of gothic architecture and people. Something that looks like it was shot pre 1940.
    I love wetplate but cant afford to go that route just yet.
    Is there a portable camera (that I can still buy film for and not have to develop myself) that would achieve this look with a specific type of film?
    I love the look of pictures like this: http://img.timeinc.net/time/photoess...oldiers_01.jpg
    (I dont want to photoshop)
    Thanks for any help you can pass along!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    One of the Graphic's and a Tessar a bit open would do the trick on 4x5 inch.
    Otherwise a 6x9 folder with a Tessar or a triplet that takes 120 rols.

Use an Ilford or Kodak or..... 125 ASA film.

It is a lot of funn......

Peter

Nev
    Shooter
    Holga
    So any Graphics (graphics or graflex?) and Tessar lens?

(Sorry Im new to film and vintage cameras.)

What types of film do they use? 120>?

Would something like this work to get a photo like above> EBAY AUCTION
    I take it its the Tessar lens that really helps? They can just be added on like a lens on a digital?
    Last edited by Nev; 03-10-2009 at 10:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    120 film rolls are still available, you can get them from Henry's. Ask for Kodak Plus-X that is ISO125 if you want to go with above suggestion.
    this type of film will work in a 6x9 folder.
    The Crown Graphics are large format cameras that use 4x5 inch sheet negatives (still available today - Henry's would carry them as well).
    You should Google for cameras of the type mentioned to have an idea of what it takes to get a print that looks like the one you linked.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Nev,

Welcome to APUG. That auction looks to be a nice set up. A vintage lens and camera however is only going to get you about halfway. The rest will come down to film and developing. Efke emulsions as an example, have an older look and more particularly older style of response to the spectrum. There are labs that will process regular B&W, but there really isn't any reason not to do it yourself. You don't need a darkroom, and the cost savings will pay for the few things needed in 5-10 rolls. Quality wise, after a short learning curve, you will be as good or better at it than lab.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    A 2x3 Speed Graphic (or Crown or Century) is a good start. This one strikes me as (very) overpriced. I don't recommend a coated Ektar 105mm f3.7 lens is you're looking for that vintage look. An uncoated tessar or maybe Kodak Anastigmat might be better. Take a look at Ian's comments in this thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/5...ld-vs-new.html

In a 2x3 Graphic, if you want to use 120 roll film instead of sheet film (which is harder to find in that size), you will need a roll film back (you want to find a Graflex one with the little rollers that help keep the film flatter. You just need to decide which size you want 6x6, 6x7 or 6x9 (or but more than one). For a roll film back, you'll need a Graflok back, and you'll want the rangefinder to be accurate to the lens so you don't have to ground glass focus.

In a shameless marketing plug, if you're interested in a 2x3 Graphic, I have one or two that I need to part with (okay, maybe a half dozen but that won't happen) - see attached photo. And, even with a roll film back they won't cost you anywhere near $400 (not even half of that for a Century)

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pano.jpg  

Nev
    Shooter
    Holga
    You dont need a dark room? Oh well maybe Ill look into that! Thanks for the suggestions so far.
    Do they make modern folders that I could just attach a vintage lens to? I ask because unlike that auction above I find most look very worn and worry they wont work well if at all.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What do you plan on doing with the negatives? You will need a darkroom to print, unless you plan on scanning the negatives. Developing just needs a light safe tank (I have a Patterson System something or other and just bought a Jobo tank from someone here) and a light-tight closet to transfer the film from the roll to the tank.

There are modern folders in the sense that there are MF and LF bellows cameras that will cost you an arm and a leg. Personally, I went the vintage route for MF/LF since it's much cheaper (and this is a bit of a lark at present). The Graphics (and other press cameras) have an interchangeable lens board so you can put on any lens you want. The catch is in re-adjusting the rangefinder to match so you don't need to ground glass focus (it's my preference but it's inconvenient with roll film). If you want to just play around, you could pick up any of the 120 format vintage range-guesser folders, very cheap and try them out. It's really a function of how much you want to spend and what kind of image quality you're looking for. Not to mention ease of use and flexibility.

Dan

Nev
    Shooter
    Holga
    well as for image quality I want photos to come out looking old. Not perfect. But somewhat clear. Im a fan of how black and white holga photos look, but wanted something a little more authentic. When you say 'ground glass' and other things I dont understand, is there a site dedicated to these cameras that would explain all about them you recommend?
    Last edited by Nev; 03-10-2009 at 11:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    www.graflex.org will tell you more about Graflex cameras than you really want to know.

If you're looking for a more authentic Holga, I don't think you really need a Graphic. I'd suggest starting with a 1920s-1940s folder that takes 120 film. Watch out for 620 film cameras since you will then need to respool 120 film onto a 620 spool to use them. Off the top of my head, I'm drawing a blank as to which would be a good option (ebay is still somewhat hit or miss - if a bellows isn't too bad, you can always take up the corners but if the shutter and glass are no good it's useless except as a display piece. But, they're very cheap generally so you won't be out much. I think these are 120 format (and all date to the early 1930s at latest) - Ihagee Ultrix, Agfa Billy series, Voigtlander Bessa (the original model is very cheap). For the ultimate in low tech, you could try a Kodak Autographic Brownie #2 - I think that's the one that uses 120 film, and you can pick those up for around $5. I've bought 2 on ebay - one is in great condition and very usable. The other is usable in theory but the bellows needs patching. Both of mine date to 1918-1926.

Dan

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin