Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,492   Posts: 1,571,344   Online: 812

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Lori, Here is one rule presented to us by the Dean of Women at the teacher's college I attended in the early 1960s when we finally got a darkroom. I am not making this up. "At least three students in the darkroom at all times; two must be of the same gender."
    Along the lines of a thought I had, a prominently placed "No Groping" sign.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Lori, Here is one rule presented to us by the Dean of Women at the teacher's college I attended in the early 1960s when we finally got a darkroom. I am not making this up. "At least three students in the darkroom at all times; two must be of the same gender."
    What if you were a woman trap in a man's body?

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lorirfrommontana View Post
    Anything that you can think of that would be good to have on a list of darkroom rules would be so helpful.
    Lori
    One thing no one's mentioned yet, Rule 1 - EVERY ONE goes potty before entering the darkroom.

In 20 years teaching high schoolers, one thing is universal, they all need to pee as soon as they get in the dark with running water - especially if you are using a large drippy gurgling print washer.

If you can, rig a pair of black curtains over the door or figure out a way for them to get out to the bathroom without fogging everyone elses paper and film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    What if you were a woman trap in a man's body?

Jeff
    Things were simpler then: this was the EARLY Sixties!!
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Label trays #1 (developer), #2 (stop), #3 (fix)...Rule 1 is to NEVER get a higher number solution into a lower number tray, including via wet hands!

Rule 2...never turn on room lights when any light sensitive material is not inside a light tight container

Rule 3...never ANY lights when unprocessed film in not inside a light tight container

I second what MattKing said, and Pinholemaster said particularly!

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I never even though of the bathroom thing! Good plan makeing them go 1st! I will lable my trays with #'s also. Great ideas. Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm RF

What rules should I set for the Darkroom

I know that you expect only kids to use the work space, but when I managed a darkroom in a nearby community arts center I had another that worked marvelously.

When the lights are out, no talk about politics or faiths.

Everybody seemed to approve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Eye protection? Maybe they should start requiring that at the salad bar and when they use salt shakers too... It just sounds like my camp where there is a prominent "always wear gloves when processing film!" sign yet I never saw any gloves nor people wearing them. Such methods are at best means with which to quell the fears or overbearing parents...but do as you wish.

I guess a lot of this depends on what type of program you're running. My first one I attended was one where they showed us the camera, gave us a roll of film, processed as a group, and handed us all paper from the safe for the first day. Later I did a shoot two rolls a week, process and do everything on your own class for a semester.

I second the "clean up after yourself" rule. Supervision is always nice with kids just starting out. Also have the kids care for their negatives and prints. And do not(!) provide a film washer unless you want your ceiling tiles ruined with "hey watch this!" experiments. Definitely keep small amounts of paper in the paper safe to minimize the fogging issue (it will happen.) If your main concerns are things getting ruined and kids getting hurt, you just need to minimize both. Supervision helps both, I don't know if you can do that though.

Quote Originally Posted by nyoung View Post
    One thing no one's mentioned yet, Rule 1 - EVERY ONE goes potty before entering the darkroom.
    That would make me feel very awkward personally.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [
    When the lights are out, no talk about politics or faiths.

Everybody seemed to approve.[/QUOTE]
    Of course, because they could still talk about the third part of the triad.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    No running and some form of anti slip shoes. It's amazing how many times I've seen people slip on a small spill that went unnoticed.

Hey that's my first post!!

Hello world.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin