Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,462   Online: 932

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hey! Great first post! Hello! Non slip shoes is a great idea. My room is so small I don't think running would be possible!!! All of my stuff is very used so I'm not too worried about things getting ruined. This is for a 4H group and I will of course check to see if they have their own rules. I do need to read my book!!! The kids are usually pretty focused on getting their projects done and doing things right so I'm not too worried about them messing around (especially if there is just one or 2 at a time!). I just want it in writeing so I don't hear, "No one told me that", later on! I will also post the rules in the room (not that any one will read them!). I mostly just want to make it fun. I've been looking for a few good books that I can loan out. I've discovered most of my photography books have nudes in them, wich I have no problem letting my children see, but I'm not even going to lend out those books to other peoples kids. Don't need that headache! Any one have good ideas of books to get for my library that are kid appropriate let me know!
    Lori

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The kids are usually pretty focused on getting their projects done and doing things right so I'm not too worried about them messing around (especially if there is just one or 2 at a time!)
    Being in a rather formal prep school (with a large darkroom), I can say that horseplay is inevitable in any unsupervised (or supervised) situation. Let's just say the ceiling tiles above the film washer are a little stained On the other hand, there haven't been any bad incidents. It's mostly just fooling around and most of the stuff in the darkroom isn't toxic. Speaking of which, DO NOT GET ANY FILM CLEANER! Our school had one called PEC-12 or something which apparently gives chemical burns when sprayed on the bare skin of arms. Air dusters are also a very bad idea (compressed air, freezing liquid, highly flammable, will burn skin on hands when inverted) so I would stick with rubber pump bristled blowing brushes to control dust.

For a basic textbook suggestion, there's one by Henry Horenstein called "A basic manual" that our school uses. It gives you a good basic understanding of everything involved in the basic 35mm film process and touches on other formats.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let's just say the ceiling tiles above the film washer are a little stained
    With developer deposits I presume... What happens in chemistry classes?

Tom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    With developer deposits I presume... What happens in chemistry classes?

Tom.

Ok, who ammoniated the iodine.......?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the textbook suggestion. I'll add it to my library.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am so pleased to hear of what you are doing. I hope to be able to do the same when I have settled somewhere. Analogue work is a different world and a very welcome one in light of the digitisation of the world, cubes in offices etc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One safety rule I haven't seen mentioned yet is never to touch the enlarger with two hands at the same time, they are not usually earthed ( grounded) to avoid an electric shock.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    One safety rule I haven't seen mentioned yet is never to touch the enlarger with two hands at the same time, they are not usually earthed ( grounded) to avoid an electric shock.
    So that's what happen to me!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    So that's what happen to me!

Jeff
    That's right Jeff, electric shock treatment
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Lori, Here is one rule presented to us by the Dean of Women at the teacher's college I attended in the early 1960s when we finally got a darkroom. I am not making this up. "At least three students in the darkroom at all times; two must be of the same gender."
    Sounds like a rule the advisor of one school paper I worked at (not saying which) imposed in the 1990s! They don't have a darkroom anymore though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin