Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,546   Posts: 1,544,516   Online: 1122

Shooter
    Medium Format

Posing chair for LF portraits

I'd like to find (or build), a chair with the headbrace piece that keeps the poser's head still during the focusing, film loading, and taking of a LF portrait. Any idea/advice on how I get this done?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know your clients, but what about the chair of Alphonse Bertillon...?
    Last edited by AgX; 03-17-2009 at 09:43 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: could not even spell his name right...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    John Brewer (in Scotland IIRC) is making head braces for wetplate collodion photography. Email him at:john@johnbrewerphotography.com

He may be too busy to answer for a few days as his wife just had a child earlier today.

There's also a guy named Tim Meritte that makes a brace reproduction once in awhile. Googling should turn him up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys. I'd like to just rig something up honestly. Since this is not a profit making endeavor, I'd like to go the cheap way.
    Who's Alphonse Bertillon, and what does his chair look like?
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bertillon introduced anthropometry into the police force. Systematic photography made part of his system.

For photographing suspects etc. a rotatable chair with head rest was used and mechanically rotated in the sequens of photographing.
    I still saw such a chair at a police department in the 80's.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sdivot View Post
    I'd like to find (or build), a chair with the headbrace piece that keeps the poser's head still during the focusing, film loading, and taking of a LF portrait. Any idea/advice on how I get this done?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com
    The simplest gadget by far would be a rod with a soft pad on the end which reaches up to the back of the subject's head by some convenient route and against which the subject rests his/her head. Remember that, in contrast to the Daguerrotype days, you are not concerned to keep the subject immobilized for a long period, only to ensure that he/she does not move between focusing and making the exposure. This rod will ensure that front/back movement does not occur, a simple sight on the front of the camera can be used to make sure the subject does not drift to the left or right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It shouldn't be too difficult to modify a lighting stand to take a large "u " shaped clip you could make to screw into the top of the stand as a brace to support the victims head, to re-create a poseing stand .
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin