Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,847   Online: 879

Thread: Daguerro type

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Daguerro type

Hi,

Out of curousity are there any photographer out there who do Daguerro type of photography?
    I used the search function but could find a defintive answer? If yes, how did you come to it? WHat difficulties do you run into?

I am not going to try it out myself in the near future. First have to get used to the normal darkroom stuff. But maybe in the future I might venture into this. But for now it is just curiousoty that prompted me to ask this question.

Regards,

Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    I may be one of the only people on (or rarely on) this forum who make Daguerreotypes, but there are probably 100 or so currently active Daguerreotypists in the world. I have taught workshops to more than 200 people, but very few actually go home and put what they have learned into practice--it is just too hard and too expensive for all but the most obsessive and driven. Some details in the process I teach here: http://motamedi.info/daguerreotypy.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting read. Looks really complicated indeed. I have bookmarked your page. Thanks for the reply.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There was a presentation this weekend in Philadelphia by a Japanese photographer who does mercury-developed daguerreotypes, at Project Basho, which is an APUG sponsor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    check this out: www.newdags.com
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My current photo teacher has the knowledge to make daguerrotypes, however I don't think he actively does; he seems to be more of an author at the moment than a photographer. His name's David Carroll. I think he made a number of daguerrotypes as props for some horror movie a few years ago. (iirc he said that they wanted a scene where a bunch of the pictures got destroyed, and, obviously, he wouldn't sacrifice "authentic" daguerrotypes for a movie, so he simply made a set of new ones.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Understandably. Just seen some real daguerrotypes this weekend. Really cool stuff. Would love to see some new made ones. However I have the feeling that in the Netherlands there are none. And the states is a bit too expensive to travel too. Right see what google has to offer me. :-)

Thanks for the link gonna keep me busy for a while.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin