Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,395   Online: 1076

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

reflector question

What's the difference between a $120 light reflector from a camera shop and a couple of taped together car window reflectors from the $2 shop?.....apart from the packaging.

wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Usually convenience, plus there is the small amount of $118.00.

Mick.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    <G>

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There's a styrofoam "underlay" product used to clad a house before it's re-sided. They come as tri-fold 4' x 2' (three connected pieces this size) They're white styrofoam on one side and silver foil coated on the other and, as tri-folds, they are self-supporting. You could try a builders supply merchant or, better still, cruise building sites at dead of night !!

I had my house re-sided about 10 years ago and several of these found their way into my studio. Oh, did I mention that they can walk!!!

Bob H

PS - Mick beat me to it. I was about to say $118.00. Quick on the draw these Aussies!!
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post

PS - Mick beat me to it. I was about to say $118.00. Quick on the draw these Aussies!!
    Yes, we are...grin

Makes you wonder tho, why photographers, of all the professions, allow themselves to be ripped off time after time by overpriced products, forced obsolence and a really substandard distribution/retail system. I've been putting together a new lighting system and the cost of accessories is just numbing.

wayne
    Last edited by wayne naughton; 03-21-2009 at 06:36 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You're so right. I'm in the middle of putting my darkroom back together again and I'd lost my Jobo tempering bath. I was looking even on ebay and the price was nuts. I went into a big pet store chain yesterday and picked up a cat litter box, an aquarium heater and an aquarium circulation pump. The Jobo didn't even have the circulation pump. It was peanuts compared to the real thing. I also needed another print washing / holding tray - a plastic cement mixing tub from the DIY chain. Drill a few holes in one end and I'm set.

I often walk around the hardware store to see what they have I can use in the darkroom or studio and I've ended up with some stuff that's maybe not as pretty - but a lot more damned robust and functional.

Stay quick on the draw Wayne!!

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne naughton View Post
    Makes you wonder tho, why photographers, of all the professions, allow themselves to be ripped off time after time by overpriced products [...] I've been putting together a new lighting system and the cost of accessories is just numbing.
    You're just assuming that photographers allow themselves to be ripped off.

I bet that most do have enough sense not to, and know, for instance, that light reflected of an aluminium foil is light reflected off an aluminium foil, no matter how expensive.
    I'm sure you do too, and do not get those overpriced accessories, but really enjoy those many trips to the hardware store instead.
    And you're not the only one who thought of that ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well I only overpaid by $58, as I remember, so I don't feel to bad. :rolleyes:

The difference for me was that the kit was a 5in1. Silver, gold, white, black, and a scrim. I haven't figured out the importance of a black "reflector" so I think 4in1 might have been a better description, but in sales more is better.

That said the car window reflectors are a great place to start and see if you like using reflectors.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    You're just assuming that photographers allow themselves to be ripped off.....
    ....And you're not the only one who thought of that ... )
    Yeah, most of the studios i worked in as a kid were cobbled together with a hammer and soldering iron. Maybe i'm not as resourceful as my forefathers, most probably i'm just plain lazy but i blanched when Bowens quoted me $420 for a 8x12 backlite reflector and $240 for a 15 degree snoot!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    There's a styrofoam "underlay" product used to clad a house before it's re-sided. They come as tri-fold 4' x 2' (three connected pieces this size) They're white styrofoam on one side and silver foil coated on the other and, as tri-folds, they are self-supporting. You could try a builders supply merchant or, better still, cruise building sites at dead of night !!

I had my house re-sided about 10 years ago and several of these found their way into my studio. Oh, did I mention that they can walk!!!

Bob H
    There's a sort of styrofoam fabric that they use instead of tissue for packing these days. I'd love to get a large roll of that.......

wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin