Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,517   Online: 847

Thread: graflex 3A

Shooter
    Multi Format

graflex 3A

hi

is anyone here using one of these cameras?
    it takes 122 roll film ( i think ) ..
    have you modified it to take something else?
    do you shoot paper?

do you ever use the autographic feature
    ( writing on the film with the special stylus) ?

thanks!

-john
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a different 122 camera. I use a 122 spool (came with the camera) on the take-up side and I made spacers for the other side that just keep the 120 rolls centered and free to rotate. Basically they're just a couple of pieces of wood dowel hot-glued in place and with a little bit of felt on the end to provide enough friction to hold the film taut.

If I remember correctly, the autographic feature required a special backing layer that was similar to making a carbon copy.

Ria

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If I remember correctly, the autographic feature required a special backing layer that was similar to making a carbon copy.[/QUOTE]

The autographic feature was introduced in 1914. The autographic film had a carbon tissue between the film and the backing paper. "Writing" on the backing paper with the stylus resulted in notations on the border of the negative. Autographic backs were available for older cameras that did not have them as original equipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    terence and ria

thanks for your replies and the info on autographic film. i have a autographic 3a folder
    that belonged to my grandparents with stylus &C and i know those cameras
    had sheet film backs &C ( kind of hard to find these days ) .. but i have always
    had a fondness for that graflex 3a ... actually bought one from joe tepper years ago,
    but returned it to him because it wasn't in the best of condition, and he has a bullet proof return policy
    (return for any reason, no questions asked, full refund) ... and i came across another one on
    the westlicht auction site last night ... and wanted to see if anyone else is using one of these clunky things ..

thanks again!
    john
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi John,

I have one that I bought with the intention of doing panoramas using 120 film but never have gotten around to it.

There are some good sites about the topic, some folks just make some adapters and use 120 film directly and some add a method for supporting the film (glass sheet, rails, etc.).

Looks like fun, please post your results -maybe it'll goad me into using mine too

Nathan

(Edit) PS - oops, I don't have a Graflex, just a Kodak folder. Same applies though I would think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Brownie 3A Folding camera which uses 122 film. I found film on ebay, I have six rolls left. It is Verichrome Pan, was last made in 1970. I am saving the backing paper, I will probably get some aerographic film and slit it to the 92mm width of the 122 film. I process it in an open bucket by means of the see saw method. It is a PITA but it works, and I don't shoot that much film. Good luck with your camera.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    well,

i did it .. 10 years after mailing it back to joe t,
    i bought another one and i am waiting for it to arrive.
    if the pix are actual, it seems to be in great shape...
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good luck with your Graflex 3a. I have one as well I bought last year, though the shutter is jammed and will need servicing. I have dreams of adapting it to use with 120 film. Let us know how your camera works out.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin