Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,641   Online: 1174

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uk drumscanning

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

uk drumscanning

Ok ok, let me explain before the analogue militia take me off to a deserted spot and shoot me...!

I shoot all my work in 120 b+w film, reverse processed by dr5 as positive transparencies. The disability charity I work for is interested in producing a fundraising calender using my images. Have spoken with a few graphic designers so far for quotations, but am not handing over my treasured transparencies for anyone to treat them rough. And, having spoken to a few designers so far who seem to regard film as something from prehistoric times (!) I'm not really reassured they will treat my film well...! All the designers need digital files to work from, so I said I would be responsible for the drumscans (up to 40 mgs each).

Has anyone any recommendations of UK companies who have done good quality drumscan for them. I'd prefer to go with an APUGger's personal recommendation than do a google search and hope for the best...

Thanks for your help,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Whilst perhaps not strictly a 'drum scanner', I've had good results from Blueskyimages who use an Imacon 949 Flextight "virtual" drum scanner.

Unlike some other companies who use the same equipment, he doesn't charge huge amounts of money for high res. scans.

Afraid I can't help if you're after 'true' drumscans though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Gavin

You need to talk to a decent size printer, one that has good inhouse repro. Some in the UK will still have an A2 drum scanner in there prepress departments. Usually a Crosfield, Hell or a Dianippon, also try and talk to the scanner operator to put your mind at rest about how your film will be treated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Gavin

I have no personal experience of this, but I've seen a recommendation for Ian Scovell on the LF website. I think a quick read of the linked page would give you some idea of the kind of service on offer and maybe an intro to email or call him.

http://www.ianscovell.com/Site/Scanning.html

ATB, Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Cheers for help.

Peter - this link looks great, and the info really informative.

Thanks,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you're making a calendar of normal size, you don't need drum scans. A NIkon9000 scan will be more than sufficient for calendar sized images.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Gavin,
    Why don't you use the Flextight at Stills? It should be easily good enough for your requirements. That way you can do it yourself.

Colin
    Beginner

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by telkwa View Post
    If you're making a calendar of normal size, you don't need drum scans. A NIkon9000 scan will be more than sufficient for calendar sized images.
    That presupposes resolution is the only important factor.

One of the problems mentioned with scanning on the page linked above is optical flare - and I can certainly attest it's a problem that's driven me to distraction in the past when scanning high-contrast shots on slide film, with both a Nikon film scanner and an Epson flatbed. It's by no means a problem on every shot, but when it is a problem it's a biggie...

If the Imacons perform as well in this regard as he suggests, then frankly I'm going to start saving to buy one of my own .
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi,

Apologies if I'm gatecrashing, as I'd had my name mentioned I just wanted to say that I've posted a very high resolution zoomify image of a 617 scan on the Imacon 949 on my website. It can be seen here, but please give it time to load when you zoom in: http://www.ianscovell.com/ian/SEAVIEW.html

This is a 305mb file making a 42" wide print at 300dpi, with no sharpening applied.

As the majority of individuals on this wonderful forum are using B&W, if there's someone out there who has a high quality 5x4,617, 66 etc B&W neg or tran and would be happy for it to be scanned & zoomify'd on my website for all to see what this scanner can do please get in touch.

Kind regards

Ian Scovell
    Last edited by scovell001; 04-03-2009 at 02:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scovell001 View Post
    Hi,

Apologies if I'm gatecrashing, as I'd had my name mentioned I just wanted to say that I've posted a very high resolution zoomify image of a 617 scan on the Imacon 949 on my website. It can be seen here, but please give it time to load when you zoom in: http://www.ianscovell.com/ian/SEAVIEW.html

This is a 305mb file making a 42" wide print at 300dpi, with no sharpening applied.

As the majority of individuals on this wonderful forum are using B&W, if there's someone out there who has a high quality 5x4,617, 66 etc B&W neg or tran and would be happy for it to be scanned & zoomify'd on my website for all to see what this scanner can do please get in touch.

Kind regards

Ian Scovell
    I was all over offering you one of my 4x5" E6 scans, right up until you said 'high quality' ;-)
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin