Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,851   Online: 959

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    I remember Altman Camera very well ... It was the greatest camera store on earth--literally.
    It always reminded me more of a jewelry store than a camera store. Camera stores were messy with things tucked away in cabinets and drawers (I worked in a camera store in Michigan); jewelry stores were organized, and Altmans was organized! It was a great store.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I googled Altman Camera and right away found the labor case appellate decision which was an interesting read, and also Altman's obotuary from 2002.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was just a kid when I went there, and more like a jewelery store, I felt more at home at Central Camera. Those were the days...
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format

Any one remember Cheryl Kooiker

Cheryl Kooiker was working at Altmans when it closed....
    would love to try and find her.....but it has been a long time....

how about Chris Fletcher...we roommated together doing that time

It was a very sad time when this great store closd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey, an Altman thread! I worked there from about April of 73 to May of 75 when they closed. I'd just got married in March 75 and it was quite a blow to lose a job I really loved. Finally worked for a little shop on Dearborn st. until September of 78 when we moved to the Pacific NW, young wife, 14 month old daughter and all. Didn't get back to visit Chicago till Sept, 2008, 30 years later, and found my Chicago was GONE! Visited Central Camera and right away recognized a salesman who had worked at Wolk's Camera (remember them?) right next to Altman's on Wabash st. It was his last week on the job, just about to retire. Altman's gone, Wolk's gone, Bass Camera gone, Shutan Camera gone, now it is a camera store desert out there. I'd have to make a 130 mile round trip to Seattle to look at a reasonable selection of cameras now. Oh well, I'm old, what does it manner. I have more film gear than I could ever use and film and paper and chem's are just a mouse click away. Such is our modern world for old camera farts like me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Can't be too many Cheryl Kooiker's on planet earth...

Quote Originally Posted by camera View Post
    Cheryl Kooiker was working at Altmans when it closed....
    would love to try and find her.....but it has been a long time....

It was a very sad time when this great store closd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2012-12-13 at 10.34.12 PM.png  

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to go into Altmans. It was huge. Paul Schrantz, who worked upstairs, later became one of my professors of photography at Governor's State College. Standard Photo on Chicago Avenue was nice too. I bought tripods and light stands there. Who tried to resurrect a store on LaSalle St. ?

Shooter
    35mm

Altman Flashback

Oh my, this thread brought back some memories. As some of you have mentioned working at Altman camera, I did as well during 1971 and into 1972. I was also embroiled in the union action and my name is even mentioned in the ruling mainly due to being illegally pressured to rat out people which I never did. Nevertheless, it was an amazing camera store and I was working there to support my habit which at the time was 35mm photography. However, the wages were meager and raises even less so. I remember Ralph calling me into his office and telling me what a great job I was doing and as a reward he was giving me a 20 cents an hour raise. And, that was after sending me out for a lie detector test which I guess I must have passed. I’m sharing this so as others could understand how a union could get its foot in the door. At any rate, I never did care one way or another because I enjoyed my job selling movie equipment on the second floor. Arriflex or Bolex anyone? I also made some wonderful friends who have been lost to the years that have passed. I left before the store closed but recall being deposed over the union issue. I believe that they must have won because true to his word Altman shut it down.

Shooter
    35mm
    Now Helix is on the way out. They are selling the rest of their stuff on eBay. Altman's was the best. Standard Photo was good too. Central Camera is still going and Don is in charge daily again. Manny has retired as a salesman. Part of Altman's staff went to LaSalle street and had a camera store. Still cannot recall the name. Calumet Camera is still kicking in Chicago.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin