Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,300   Online: 1090

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hey I studied with Paul Schranz at Gov State! Loved altmans, still got the d 2 v bought at Helix
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Hey I studied with Paul Schranz at Gov State! Loved altmans, still got the d 2 v bought at Helix
    I don't think I knew you there, Dave. What is a d 2 v?
    William Kazak

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Omega enlarger, William I lived in Park Forest South and was a band director at Crete-Monee school
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks. I worked with a guy who used the Omega enlarger. I use Bessler.

DF

Now Chicago has basically just two camera/photography stores - Central and Calumet. Anyone remember Shutan's? 'Bought my first X700 there in '84.
    Now Helix is also gone.

Shooter
    35mm
    I remember Shutans. A friend of mine from my town in Lansing who I went to grade school with worked there as a salesman. His name was Paul Bork.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey all---1st post here

Was surfing around doing some research on a possible new camera(digital!) purchase when I just decided to google "Altman Camera"
    to see what might pop-up and ended up here.

I was there at the end! Worked in 1st floor camera sales and up in the "catwalk" Don't even remember how long I was there.Probably 2-3 years. Went on to work at both Helix and Lion Photo in Schamburg--both gone also. All the union stuff happened before I got there.

Don't remember too many names, it has been nearly 40 years! "Cherly" does ring a bell--tall, slender, short hair?
    Also Urban Faber, son of White Sox Hall of Famer(?). Roomed with him while at Helix.

For now photography is just a casual, less than part-time hobby, but like I said am thinking of getting my first DSLR
    (started out with a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic)

From the Chicago south suburbs,
    Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Scott and welcome to APUG. While this forum is strictly analog, you can try DPUG.ORG for digital stuff.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Can someone tell me when Altman's was open? My dad can't remember where he got the Realistic Stereo camera (that I have now) from, but it was downtown Chicago. He thinks he got it in 1960. They lived in Oak Park in the late 50's and moved way out west by Peru in the early 60's.

The last couple of times I have been back to Chicago I always try and make a point to go to Calumet since I bought a used body from them 10 years ago, but the wife and kids don't seem to share my enthusiasm to go visit a photography store.

Was there two weeks ago!!

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    35mm
    Not sure what possessed me to Google Altman but I did. I worked at 35 E. Wacker so the store was a popular lunchtime trip. I could not afford Nikon and Canon at the time so I 'settled' for Olympus. Bought, and still have, my OM-1 and OM-2 at the store. Also bought my enlarger there. I never felt rushed when shopping. I am under the impression the sales staff did not work on commission.

Shutan was the choice after Altman closed. Just recently went through a couple of boxes of photos looking for things to scan and upload and there were many Shutan envelopes. Take a peek at www.myimagecollection.com if you want.

I did visit Helix a few times but their location was not convenient.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin