Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,237   Online: 841

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Unemployed, Retired? Here's a great way to spend time..

Just food for thought, that's all.
    Community Colleges still teach film photography with Darkrooms for both developing and printing.
    Maybe you will be able to benefit and qualify for Financial Aid.

I worked every day of my life and because of a kick butt illness found myself ill. I'm 48 now, back in college, photography major and I very well may have a grant to go to Costa Rica to take two intensive classes in Photography specifically the rain forest. The opportunities are limitless.
    Plus at my age it's a great way to be social, meet people and not only learn but get new ideas.

I can learn from everyone, from a 17 year old freshman to of course a wonderful professor.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great idea, but for me the community college near where I live is closing down it's photography program.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm sorry to hear that Jeff.
    Here's another option. Most community colleges offer a weekend class that is NON-credited. That is that anyone in the community can attend. Now the interesting part here is that you may be able to contact them and see if they would like you to teach a class. I was asked and they can even pay you. So there may be an option to spend some time having fun, teaching people and getting a bit of change.
    But anyway, it's sad that they would cancel the class in school.
    I'm also scheduled / registered to attend "Art Appreciption" for photography. Is it possible that your school has this?
    A lot of sucessful photographers are drawing artists as well. So there is always a drawing class too.
    t

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Check your state. State funded colleges in Ohio have a 60+ program where if there are available seats in a class, there is no charge for tuition if you are over 60 years old. You do pay for parking, a lab fee if there is one and a small teacher fee. "Available seats" can be a problem because schools are filling up, but I have taken 16 courses, mostly photo or art related since 2003. The profs see how motivated you are and view that as a pleasant change. They hope it will be contagious and make room for you once they get to know you. This is a non credit audit program, but I got a degree 40 years ago so it is purely for the pleasure of learning. The coeds are a little more attractive than you meet at church bingo though.

John Powers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    John, that is so well put. My history professor digs that I'm there because I act like I'm a sponge. Always in the discussion. But the young students just kind of sit there. He told me a lot of professors have given up. But, it's great for me because he gives me everything I won't.

There are so many programs out there for the student that wants to learn. I have no interest in the degree, but I'll get one, it's the journey I'm after. Plus, I've never darkroom printed before so this is great fun for me, plus I'll always have acess to the darkroom as needed.
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah yes, here in Pennsylvania, those of us 65 or older can take community college classes for just the fees -- currently about $19 per credit hour. I've done ceramics work, but not any photography. They do have classes using a wet darkroom, in fact it's just been rebuilt bigger and better. In ceramics, seniors have been able to audit advanced courses semester after semester. I get the impression part of the reason that's allowed is that many of us older and more experienced types are able to provide help to students in the open studio sessions.

There are definitely opportunities worth checking out.

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In California, if you are in unemployment and take a class, even if you will drop the class when a job starts, you are ineligible for unemployment! Not a real incentive to the unemployed to learn new skills.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's great that they actually made the dark-room bigger. I'm getting the slight feeling that Film is becoming, almost a "fad" now. And jp, yup, the co-ed's a always pretty nice to share class with but sometimes I feel like a dirty old man and I'm not doing, thinking or even saying anything. In two of my classes there is not one student over 20. Well, yeah for me I guess.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    P.S. And I have a good feeling that the Pell Grants are going to get a big boost this year so everyone should keep an eye out. Again, it's a great way to be social and be active not to mention just learning from everyone else.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I am happy that photography lives on in community colleges. However, using tax money to subsidize Costa Rican photography trips is wrong.
    Jerold Harter MD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin