Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,572   Online: 1040

Shooter
    Multi Format

Format Comparison Spreadsheet+

I open this from time to time when I forget the diagonal of a format, etc. It shows the film area and diagonals for the basic formats. I first did this some years ago and I believe I used the frame on film measurements from exposed images on my own equipment so it may not be at an accepted standard but should serve as a good general reference. Please point out any errors you spot as this wasn't meant for "prime time" but just a handy, quick reference for my own use. Maybe some panoramics would be interesting to add for calculating an "ideal" enlarging lens focal length, etc?
    Attached Files
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your diagonals are within a millimeter of those I have measured on my equipment. I have a similar spreadsheet that goes on to do the math for all the focal length equivalents (based on the diagonals).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks for posting this -- it's a nice reference tool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Craig, if you want to take it a few steps further it's useful to add half-frame, and 10x8 as well as 6x12 and 6x17. In my own table I also have 9x12cm as that's a sheet film format I'm using.

Then have a comparison of lenses & coverage - particularly useful for Large format work because it ties in with the diagonal of the film formats. Just a few thoughts.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin