Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,948   Online: 923

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Cart for transporting 8x10 equipment

Been looking for a cart that folds up to transport my 8x10 gear. I want a cart that I can fold up and unfold (so I can store it in a vehicle/bus). After traveling to my destination I would unfold the cart and load up my boxed 8x10, film holders plus tripod etc. I want something with fairly large wheels and handles that will allow me to pull or push the cart in rural areas of Thailand, so dirt roads, paths, upstairs etc.. Thinking on working on a major portrait project and carrying the gear on my back is just not possible.

Any ideas? what carts would you recommend? Thanks guys and gals for any help you can offer.

Thanks Gerry

www.gerryyaum.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Gerry,

http://babyjogger.com/perf_jogger_lp.aspx
    I bought this jogger on eBay from a parent whose kid had out grown it. The jogger has 20” bicycle wheels, 100 pound shocks and a parking brake. The parent politely asked me about my child and told me about his. I said Baby Linhof was a bit much for my old back. Dad, a digi shooter, was very happy for me.

I have used it for 4x5, 8x10 and now 7x17. A bag of film holders is bungied to the rails that go from front to rear axels. I have a soft cooler bag that rests in the seat full of lenses, loop, meter, dark cloth, lunch. The camera is mounted on a big Ries. The spikes are extended through two holes drilled in the foot pad. The camera, head and tripod are bungied to the axel and top of the shocks giving two distinctly different holding spots.

At age 69 I can go two miles out from the car and back on paths, trails, open fields, through woods. It does not go well on trails with large rocks or stairs. Several people have pointed out that it won’t work for them in the winters of Alaska or the trails of the Rockies. I haven’t been there. Perhaps an ATV is better equipped for that if allowed on trails. It would not be allowed where I use this.

The jogger folds up inside the car, an SUV. I also have a metal basket, two feet deep and the width of the car that plugs into a trailer hitch. When going for a week I have mounted both 8x10 and 7x17 on tripods in the back of the SUV and carried the jogger in the basket. At Photostock 2008, a week at Bill Schwab’s in Michigan, I added an 8 foot rubber dingy inflated on the roof with a 4 hp outboard in the car between cameras. It works for me. Hope it helps you.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is one that works fairly well and folds up. I use one something like this to transport a lot of stuff. Adding a couple of bungee cords can make the stuff pretty secure while bouncing around.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._750_Cart.html

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sherpa Cart! http://www.sherpacart.com I use one an it holds a great deal of gear, is well balanced and easy to maneuver. I highly recommend it.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought this at B&H and carry 4X5 kit in a backpack strapped to it

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Handtruck.html

Works very well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
    I bought this at B&H and carry 4X5 kit in a backpack strapped to it

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Handtruck.html

Works very well.
    I bought one of these for my wife from Costco. We don't use it for LF equipment (neither of us shoot LF) but we do use it for everything else.

It works great.

I think though its capacity is a lot more than 110 pounds (think furniture).

I think that they are marketed through a number of sources, with a number of different "brand" names. Ours was labelled "Sumo" - so that is how we refer to it at home.

Matt

P.S. It was one of my most appreciated Valentines Day gifts for my wife

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin