Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,963   Online: 875

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a trick, why not have your cake & eat it too.
    If you mount the older hex plate Bogen QR, in between the tripod & head, you could mount both in a matter of seconds, whenever you felt like it, so you can match the head to the job.
    As far as Ball heads, nothing beats the Original Arca Swiss, if you can find one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanishing Point Ent. View Post
    Here's a trick, why not have your cake & eat it too.
    If you mount the older hex plate Bogen QR, in between the tripod & head, you could mount both in a matter of seconds, whenever you felt like it, so you can match the head to the job.
    As far as Ball heads, nothing beats the Original Arca Swiss, if you can find one.
    I can find one, I just can't afford one .
    Ben

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    I'm using a Benbo "professional ball head" on a Benbo 1 tripod. Both can be a pain to adjust, but the Benbo is indispensable when working on uneven terrain (as I often find myself doing). In retrospect I wish I went with a geared head, but so far I've been able to make do with what I've got, even if it takes a little longer than it should.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E76 View Post
    I'm using a Benbo "professional ball head" on a Benbo 1 tripod. Both can be a pain to adjust, but the Benbo is indispensable when working on uneven terrain (as I often find myself doing). In retrospect I wish I went with a geared head, but so far I've been able to make do with what I've got, even if it takes a little longer than it should.
    I have a Benbo Mk2 tripod and the pro ball head, I don't use it much these days but it is a very good tripod ,although I tend to use my Manfrotto ( Bogan) more, because as you say it is a pain to erect, It's like learning to play the bagpipes, but I bought it very cheap at a charity sale for £12, about $18 US.
    P.S. I don't know if you know this but I was once talking to someone from Benbo at a trade show and he told me they are called "Benbo" because the design is based on a bent bolt.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 04-13-2009 at 03:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have the Manfrotto 410 geared head. I put an arca swiss 4x5" f-line on it. It works very well. It is so nice to be able to do fine adjustments with only one hand when I'm under the dark cloth.

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is absoloutley no question whatsoever; geared heads are far superior. The absoloute best is made by Arca. Go right out and get one. Next best, if your really are satisfied with less than the best is probably Manfrotto 410. Real photographers with real big cameras have Majestic. there is no more to be said on this subject!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RJS View Post
    There is absoloutley no question whatsoever; geared heads are far superior. The absoloute best is made by Arca. Go right out and get one. Next best, if your really are satisfied with less than the best is probably Manfrotto 410. Real photographers with real big cameras have Majestic. there is no more to be said on this subject!
    Oh, dang!

But there is.
    For instance that the Arca head is a huge levelling base, with limited movements, and very slow in use.

And that the Majestic thingies too are ... well, not quite 'it'. But no doubt nice for cameras weighing a ton (an Mamiya RZ still is a featherweight. Think approximately 5x what a Fuji GX680 weighs).

So that if you want a tripod head, neither would be the best.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin