Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,651   Online: 986

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Super 8

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a collection of vintage Regular 8mm cameras that I like to shoot with sometimes, just as a hobby. I shot a few rolls of Kodachrome movie film ("Cinechrome 40") with them...before I realized that Kodachrome film wasn't going to be available anymore.

Ektachrome 100D does look really nice though. I've shot several rolls of it. The good news is that it seems to work fine in pretty much any 8mm camera. I have some really antique cameras, including a Kodak Cine 8, from the 1930's! At first I was worried it wouldn't turn out and the film would just get overexposed because the shutter speed was too slow on those really ancient cameras. But it turned out fine.

I buy most of my movie film from Dwayne's Photo, and I also send it back there to get processed. I haven't had any of them transferred to a DVD though. Not yet, anyway. Maybe sometime. I actually watch my 8mm movies on a projector. I figure, hey, if I'm going to do it the old school way, I might as well do it right!

I really like the look of watching an 8mm movie on a projector. There's a totally different feel to it. You feel like you're watching a vintage movie...except you see modern cars and buildings!

Shooter
    35mm
    One thing I have not seen mentioned in this thread is the size of the projected image.
    How many users have a 40, 50 or 60 inch TV? There is a big difference between a small monitor and a large projection screen.

Francis in VT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just got dad's old projector going...I didn't know what I have been missing!! His old Kodachromes are amazing. My first film will arrive from Dwayne's in 2 days! I can't wait! I took some great film of the little guys hunting for Easter eggs on Easter. Anyone else film Easter?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too am interested in the quality of the transfers from Dwayne's. They charge only $10 for the first 50 feet to DVD, and $5 for each additional 50 feet. My local lab quoted me the ridiculous price of $100 to transfer a 25 foot roll to DVD! I need to get all my old family stuff digitized so we can safeguard and share it. However, I also want it done WELL.....
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-14-2009 at 01:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Instant Films
    I recently found a Minolta XL-400 (super 8mm) at a thrift store. Had no idea what I had bought until I got it home. It APPEARS to work, but the film that was in it is broken, so I'm not sure. I honestly intended to stick it on ebay and sell it (no, the one that's on ebay now is NOT mine), along with the Mansfield Reporter film editor I also got at the thrift store. I really was clueless in buying both! Surprising to see you guys discussing 8mm here!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why don't you try it out? You can get Ektachrome 64T at Dwayne's and send it right back there to be processed...
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to really enjoy shooting Super 8 and projecting the movies. I always wanted to try out editing the film, but wimped out and recorded the projector screen using a SVHS video camera (this is the early '90s) which I then edited using two VCRs. I'm actually quite tempted to run a roll through the only cine camera I've got left (an Elmo Super 106 that my grandmother bought my father in 1972), especially since I just watched some of Derek Jarman's cine movies last night.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Why don't you try it out? You can get Ektachrome 64T at Dwayne's and send it right back there to be processed...
    I thought about it... I have to decide first whether I'm going to keep it. If I end up buying film and developing I'll know the camera works, but will also probably not be able to sell it for more than I spent. Not that I expect to get a lot for it or anything, but at least more than I paid for it... LOL

I did put batteries in it and it seems to work. The motor runs and the thing that would be moving the film through the cartridge spins. The exposure warning needle in the finder seems to work. I'm not all that familiar with split prism focusing, but I think that's working. It's pretty cool actually (and my daughter, 15, thinks it's the coolest thing ever - it reminds her of "Rent" - LOL!)

Shooter
    35mm
    I inherited an Eumig C3 camera (I think it's regular 8) many years ago, and I think that unfortunately the meter is broken. I also have a Lentar 3PZ battery-powered camera that seems to be in working condtion. I think it's a super 8 camera. I have thought about attempting to shoot footage with either of them but since I don't have a projector, there wouldn't be much point. I actually have a Technicolor 800 miniature projector, but I think it is some strange format different form super 8.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon super zoom-8 with T64 (first roll I shot)
    [YOUTUBE]YaE0Rt7vsnM[/YOUTUBE]

I only just got around to shooting with super-8 recently, after the poor camera sat on my shelf for quite a few too many years. Got it at a garage sale for $10, the film cost $24. I've since invested in a super-8 projector and gotten another roll processed, and I love it to bits. Here in Australia we have nanolab.com.au who sell and process the film, as it's just not viable to mail it to dwayne's with the economy and all that (saying that makes me feel quite old). I'm looking for an editor but on my current budget it's a luxury thing to even buy a roll. Excellent fun though, if you have a super-8 camera please use it. Or give it away to someone who will.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin