Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,489   Posts: 1,542,927   Online: 856

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Waterproof cases.

I'm looking to get a waterproof case like a Pelican for 2 FD bodies, 24mm, 28mm, 50mm F1.4, 70-210 F4 (55mm filters) and a flash and maybe a few filters. Any ideas as to what size is sufficient?
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It would be good if you could go in a store with all that stuff and lay it on the foam of the Pelican cases until you find one that fits.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's the one I use Wayne. It measures in at about 18x12.5 inches inside. I get the T90 with 35-105, F1 body, Tamron 80-210 f2.8 (wicked nice zoom), and 20 and 24mm wides. The spot with the strap will usually also hold film and filters, or my Tamron 500 f8 reflex. Top foam isn't glued in, my gray card is up behind it.
    This has been a great case which has kept the gear clean and dry on numerous boat and beach days, plus its protected the gear from quite a few airport baggage handlers.
    This case is made by Pelican but was sold by Nikon for use with Nikonos systems. I got it many years ago off a bargain table at some long forgotten camera store. I remember it was really cheap and they had a few. I made the mistake of only buying one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why dont you just lay your gear out on the table in the way you envision how you think it might work the best for your needs, then measure the perimeter, and try to match up to the case that comes closest.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Considerd that and still may try it but the depth of experience around here always has suggestions as to better deals and suggestions for extra considerations.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
    Here's the one I use Wayne. It measures in at about 18x12.5 inches inside. I get the T90 with 35-105, F1 body, Tamron 80-210 f2.8 (wicked nice zoom), and 20 and 24mm wides. The spot with the strap will usually also hold film and filters, or my Tamron 500 f8 reflex. Top foam isn't glued in, my gray card is up behind it.
    This has been a great case which has kept the gear clean and dry on numerous boat and beach days, plus its protected the gear from quite a few airport baggage handlers.
    This case is made by Pelican but was sold by Nikon for use with Nikonos systems. I got it many years ago off a bargain table at some long forgotten camera store. I remember it was really cheap and they had a few. I made the mistake of only buying one!
    Ed that looks just about right. Thanks for the picture.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm

Help with Pelican sizing...

Hello,

I work for a company that distributes Pelican cases and we also do custom insert work. If you like, I can tell you what size you need if you give me the dimensions of your equipment. Shoot me an email at administration@orioncase.com and I can send you some Pelican size charts.

This forum is really neat. I personally use a digital and like to think I'm somewhat of an amateur photographer--I'm pretty good . I am also a member of a digital photography forum. (I wish I had a 35mm, though.) But, my mother LOVES her old 35mm that she used as a youngster. I will definitely refer her to this forum. I also would like to say that there is some incredible work here!! You guys rock!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Doskosil also makes cases similar to the Pelican for less money.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it somewhat depends on how you plan to use it. In other words, the rougher the handling the more foam will be required between the items and over/under the items.

Assuming you are the one handling it, I'd want at least an inch of good quality foam between items and at least 1.5 inch along the perimeter. Plus at least 1 inch on top and bottom. That's what I use in my hard cases, including my theft resistant cases (old hard Samsonite suitcases). I cut the foam so items are firm in their holes.

I'd space a bit further apart if I was shipping the gear.

Make sure you use good quality foam. Nice thing is you can cut multiple foam inserts for various equipment systems.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I like Pelican cases and have several.

Some models have rollers which are convenient for airports and some of those are sized to be carry ons. So if your gear fits into one, that is a good option. The rollers add weight to an already heavy case though.

Also, the foam inserts reduce the amount of gear that will fit in a given case. The adjustable inserts are much better for fitting more gear into the case. They are enough padding for most camera gear. I use things like socks, extra t-shirts, lens wraps, etc. to fill any dead space in the case if I am taking it on an airline. Also, your gear is likely to change over time and the foam inserts are designed for a single setup.

I usually buy from:

http://www.pelican-case.com/15caonca.html

They carry all of the colors so you are not stuck with black which I hate for photo gear. Also, the empty cases (no foam or inserts) are pretty reasonable and make good storage for things like film, film holders, changing tents because they are waterproof and dustproof.
    Jerold Harter MD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin