Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,065   Online: 719

Shooter
    Medium Format

Film Marketing Trivia Question

In the 50s, 60s, and 70s shops that sold film often kept it in diamond shaped shelves behind the check out counter.

Those shelves were a distinctive graphic on the wall that said "film sold here" whether you were in a photo shop, a national park gift shop, drug store, or grocery store.

My question is, were those shelves sold/provided by Kodak?

Was there any reason - relating to storage, inventory counting etc. - for the shape?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I couldn't tell you who supplied the shelves. The diamond shaped orientation of the boxes added stability to the display, making it easier to extract 1 or two boxes of film without disturbing the remainder too much.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They work really well with wine too.

I've never seen any with brand names on them. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if Kodak and other producers might have recommended such shelving.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    A lot of times, the display is included with the merchandise order, especially for a large national company, to maintain an easily recognized icon. Usually, they are designed by the company's marketing department and made by a sub-contractor exclusively for that company. They also have other merchandising items available for the retailer to purchase, or for the sales rep to include as incentives for a larger order. The prices are set by the factory, but the sales reps can use their ingenuity to drum up more sales, like including a free sign or display case for a certain sized order.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can never say I'd seen them until I visited America and decided to buy some HP5. I'd always seen it on normal everyday shelves here in South Australia. Very smart idea though.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If memory serves me correctly, I think Kodak did sell them in the 60's--80's. They were yellow plastic with Kodak embossed in several places. I also think Fuji made them available to dealers in the 80's, green plastic. Most camera stores just had them made from wood. When I setup a 1 hour lab in the early 90's I just made one, painted it white. I also think I have seen them made of cardboard. As to the shape, it is an efficient use of space for little boxes. The shape was also used in other stores, hardware, hobby, drugstores, sporting goods, etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    We used to store our wine in the liquor closet at the bar I worked at the same way. I can see where it has advantages for round containers, but for little boxes, small rectangular shelving should work as good. I would think. But apparently not

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, I haven't seen one of those in a long time. I'd totally forgotten about them. It seemed like they were everywhere in the 70s. Those and Fotomat's. I can still remember the one my parents would use to get their film developed then.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin