Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,464   Posts: 1,570,651   Online: 846

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Scanning for APUG

I would like to post some of my images but my scanner seems to be inadequate. I have an epson photo scanner but it seems unable to give a good black and white image. The highlights end up being very pixely with no detail. Is there something I'm missing?
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What model Epson are you using?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also what resolution, and are you scanning in photo or document mode?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

scanning

Its an epson 2480 Photo I scanned at 300dpi and then had to convert it to jpeg to shrink the file size.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Try scanning the print at, say, 300 dpi as you're doing, but then resize to the actual pixel size (850x750 pixels max for the APUG galleries) using whatever image processing software you have, so the gallery software won't resize it for you. Save as a JPG at the highest quality option you have available. You may need to resharpen slightly after resizing and converting to JPG.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The scanner is probably capable of producing a decent scan. I would blame the scanning software that is typically set up to produce "snappy" scans. I think that trying to get your scans to resemble your prints is going to be an exercise in frustration, unless you're willing to process the scans in Photoshop, which probably defeats the purpose. I would assume that most APUG members viewing the photos in APUG galleries understand that it's very hard to represent the tonality and depth in a scanned print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I asked which model Epson as I use a 2450 for posting scans and generally does a pretty credible job wether it's 35mm or 4x5, though not very fast for sure. Are you using the Epson supplied software/interface or a third-party? I simply select B/W negative, 300 dpi and then later resize in PS and save for Web.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use an Epson 3200, and have been way less than impressed with the normal Epson defaults. I normally open Photoshop Elements and import from the scanner down near the TWAIN driver level, running the scanner in "Professional" mode, setting up levels via the histogram display and all (e.g., NOT using the auto-exposure mode). After that, resizing and a bit of USM usually produces reasonable results.

The top level interface I got from Epson they called "Smart Panel" and I fear its IQ is sadly lacking; it does cute stuff like using a gray scale in B&W text copy mode, etc.

DaveT

Shooter
    35mm
    It is the norm to adjust the scan to represent the print as closely as possible. Rarely does a strait scan adequately portray what a print looks like. In my view that is worse. We are using a digital medium to discuss and portray analog work, so there isn't anything wrong with presenting that work as accurately as possible within the medium. It's fakery and embellishment that we want to avoid.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have an HP G4050 scanner and I use a program called VueScan and get excellent results.

Steve
    Last edited by spb854; 04-22-2009 at 01:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin