Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,238   Online: 1106

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all for the information. It is extremely helpful. If you do not mind my asking, what are the
    web hosts and software some of you are using specifically for your websites?

Jamusu.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Jamusu,

I recently took a college course on web design, and found it very informative. That might be a good way to learn a little about the technology involved and get some hands on experience with designing and coding a few small sites. I had maintained some small sites at a previous job using html/css, but I didn't really know a lot about design. We used Dreamweaver to code the sites, but more of the focus was in Photoshop, which is great for creating website mockups and getting new ideas for layouts / color schemes. You can use things like slices and save for web when you are satisfied with your page layouts, then bring your mockup elements into the site as you code.

Something else you should consider is your intended audience. Is the focus of your site to sell work, or to show it, etc. Each approach might look entirely different.
    Matt Allard

Take a class in basic XHTML/CSS at a local community college. You will be miles ahead. My class was entirely online.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Instant Films
    I use godaddy.com for domain names and hosting. Godaddy is cheap.

I agree that Microsoft Publisher spits out crappy HTML. But it's a tool that many people already have installed on their PCs and someone without HTML skills can get an (arguably) decent-looking web page up in a few minutes. I find it good for prototyping.

Many, many sites use an application called Wordpress, which creates your web site based on a few standard templates and allows you modify it. If you host at godaddy.com they have Wordpress already installed.
    Vince Donovan

Shooter
    35mm
    What about selling prints?

I want to create a photography website, I'd like to have some info about selling prints. Not a webstore or anything, just a section informing the visitor that they can purchase prints of certain sizes and include pricing and options.

Do the free sites like Wordpress have a stipulation that you cannot have this type of thing?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudhands View Post
    Do the free sites like Wordpress have a stipulation that you cannot have this type of thing?
    Wordpress is just a bit of software helping you to design and produce a website without much effort.
    It is offered free by many hosting providers, as part of the hosting package.

Shooter
    35mm
    I never thought of taking a class. That's something that I will seriously look into.

Jamusu.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    P.S.
    About Wordpress: if it is not offered by the hosting provider, it can be downloaded - also free - from its maker's website, http://wordpress.org

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by vdonovan View Post
    I use godaddy.com for domain names and hosting. Godaddy is cheap.

I agree that Microsoft Publisher spits out crappy HTML. But it's a tool that many people already have installed on their PCs and someone without HTML skills can get an (arguably) decent-looking web page up in a few minutes. I find it good for prototyping.

Many, many sites use an application called Wordpress, which creates your web site based on a few standard templates and allows you modify it. If you host at godaddy.com they have Wordpress already installed.
    I use GoDaddy as well, and find them amazingly helpful. I installed Wordpress and run my blog that way, and it was effortless on my part, and I do not consider myself to be particularly technical.
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Which gives occasion for another P.S.

There is Wordpress the website builder, and Wordpress the blog-software.
    Same maker, different products, different use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin