Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,129   Online: 1195

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

For Website Creators

I am interested in creating my own website, but have one major problem. I haven't the vaguest idea of how to begin. I have been researching for the past couple of days and am overwhelmed with all that is needed.

I have a few questions for those of you who have created a website(s). They are as follows:

1.) What are the things that I need to create one such as software, costs, etc?

2.) What are the steps that I must follow.

3.) How time consuming/hard is it?

I know that this is much of a stretch for someone in my predicament, but my goal is to eventually have one similar to Fraction Magazine, and finally APUG (not for competitive purposes in either case), but for now I think I need to learn the basics and start small.

Any help on this matter will be fantastically appreciated.

Thank you,
    Jamusu.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Apple's iWeb program is about the easiest software I can recommend for making your web site. I used it to create mine.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Get into wordpress. easy to install, easy in use . Lots of themes...lots of plug-ins...

free of charge...

www.wordpress.org/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have comcast.net as a server and Microsoft Frontpage as an HTML editor. Comcast has free personal webpages that accept Frontpage files. It might as well be an unlimited file capacity (it's more than I'll ever use).

All this to say, find out first what your server offers. They might accept files from a particular brand of software. Go from there.

As to time consuming, the more familiar you are with the software, the less time consuming it will be. Start out small and simple and build on it little by little. Don't look at all of the work you want to do and dread doing it. Do three or four pages. Get the basics up and running. Then go from there.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Large Format
    I got started using Microsoft Publisher, which comes with Microsoft Office.

In Publisher, you compose your page like you would a Word document or Power Point slide. Then you can preview how it will look as a web page.

When you are happy with how your page looks, you then save it as a web page, which is a folder full of files. You then transfer that folder to your web hosting service (which, as someone pointed out, is usually included in a DSL subscription) and you are done!
    Vince Donovan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When it come to websites, nobody will ever be happy. Keep it simple, focus on the photography, and resign yourself to ignoring the critics. My new website is www.cherylnicolai.com . Some love it, some hate it, I really don't care and am done with it. Do your own thing.

- CJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you want to use Microsoft products (i do use a couple) try anything else but Publisher or Frontpage.
    They are more a hindrance than a help, creating very 'verbose' HTML, filled with unnecessary, and hard to edit code.
    Microsoft's Visual Web Developer is much better, and in the Express Edition completely free.

I'm one of those idiots still writing code the pedestrian way, only using the text editor part of the product(s) for creating pages, and the 'advanced' features (the built-in web server) only to preview and test code. And the built-in FTP thingy to upload pages, of course.
    So i can't really comment about the ease of use of Publisher or Frontpage as wysiwyg web-editors.

But a decent content management system would have to try very hard not to be easier to use.
    Many providers will offer a (or a choice of) CMS as free ad-on. If so, just try one of those. Most come with templates that only need a bit of tweaking to make them fit your needs and desires.

For more advanced web-thingies, it pays to dive into the programming that is behind them, and learn to use a script/programming tool. (PHP is popular. I like using any of the MS's script languages and .NET better).
    What you can use also depends on what your provider's server supports. So ask first before you spend time studying one of these (or change provider).
    Last edited by Q.G.; 04-23-2009 at 07:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the Windows Notepad text editor, coding directly in HTML, and the "home" version of FTP from Ipswitch (suggested by Verizon -- I have FiOS here). It may be silly, but it meets my near-non-existent needs. But then, I used to write embedded system code in assembly language. I also maintain a sizable and growing gallery on PBase for the photo end of things. I share my ten MB Verizon webspace with an art club I belong to, and so far have no space problems (I can stash image files on PBase and link to my website if I need to).

Me
    My Galleries (Warning: May contain electrocuted bits!)
    Art Club (Sure, it could be fancier, but then, it hasn't cost them a dime, so they better live with it!)

DaveT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Web hosting and software are all you need to buy. Hosting varies in price depending on what services you need. Figure $10-$20 a month. Higher price is for people using Frontpage or needing special server technology like Coldfusion (you don't need that).

Software; you need web design software. The guys saying they code by hand are not being helpful; you're not going to do that as a beginner so why bother mentioning it. Your main choices are:

Dreamweaver: Mac or PC, industry standard, easy to use but very powerful if you become more advanced. Expensive, about $400. Worth it though if you intend to eventually build a large site.

Microsoft Frontpage or Expression Web (same thing, they changed Frontpage's name).: Easy to use, but requires a hosting company that supports it, and many do not. This can raise the cost of hosting. The software isn't terribly cheap either, at about $200. Only made for Windows.

iWeb: An Apple product, Mac only. Easy to use, not horridly expensive.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Software; you need web design software. The guys saying they code by hand are not being helpful;
    But at least one of them mentioned content management systems and the easy to use templates they provide.

why bother mentioning it.
    To disqualify the response as not being usefull when you want to know how Publisher and Frontpage (and Visual Web Developer) work as a wysiwyg editor. As a courtesy.
    And so that you do not have to.

And let's not forget the "final goal".
    So find a provider who not only offers a CMS, but perhaps also forum-software, and support for active pages and a script language (which you then need).
    Else you will eventually be moving your site to another host, which is definitely not a fun thing to do.

Oh, and ...
    Also try to learn a bit (there's not much more than a bit to learn) about style sheets (CSS).
    Very helpful, making it a lot (which is an understatement) easier to control the design of your site.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin