Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,005   Online: 759

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What luck! They aren't usually that cheap.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    I've never heard of the slide film trick before. If that really works maybe I'll fire off a few blanks on my next roll of Ektrachrome. I'm not sure if 35mm is big enough to use as a lens filter though.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    So I'm looking to try infrared photography with the school's 4x5 monorail camera and Efke IR820. I'm looking for a good filter to achieve an intense infrared effect. The only problem is that the cheapest one I can find costs $70-300 for an opaque sheet of plastic. Am I going to have to bite that bullet or is there another option? I've been looking at the wratten 87 or 88A and I can't believe how expensive a small sheet of plastic can be.
    I have a Harrison/Harrison 88A filter, but it is glass and 4 mm thick. I use either this filter with my Maco 820c or a Lee 87 (I think that this is what became the Efke IR film). Both of these filters are 4 inches square. I don't know what lens you were going to use.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The cheapest option that I know of is the plastic SFX filter that comes with Ilford's SFX film. Its similar to the R72 filter and works fine.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I've never heard of the slide film trick before. If that really works maybe I'll fire off a few blanks on my next roll of Ektrachrome. I'm not sure if 35mm is big enough to use as a lens filter though.
    Yeah, really works best with medium format or LF film
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I also found a square of unprocessed E6 film which I'll try.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    I use a Hoya R72, works great.
    Only cost me about $US40.00.
    Rich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    I also found a square of unprocessed E6 film which I'll try.
    Has to be unexposed and processed. The dyes are essentially transparent in the IR range like a lot of other dyes are. Unprocessed film will not do such a good job due to the silver salts still in the emulsion.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What diameter is the lens on your school's camera? If it takes a small-diamater filter, you are in luck.

I got my R72 in 55mm for about $35.00 from Freestyle because the 72mm, which I would have preferred, was hundreds of dollars.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-08-2009 at 09:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cokin do a decent quality IR filter that's equivalent to a Wratten 89b (R72) filter, it's not that expensive and fits their square P type holder. I've used it for the now discontinued Kodak HIE and it works fine. I'm due to take delivery of my first batch of Adox/Efke 820 soon, so looking forward to trying it out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin