Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,854   Online: 1065

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Infrared filters?

So I'm looking to try infrared photography with the school's 4x5 monorail camera and Efke IR820. I'm looking for a good filter to achieve an intense infrared effect. The only problem is that the cheapest one I can find costs $70-300 for an opaque sheet of plastic. Am I going to have to bite that bullet or is there another option? I've been looking at the wratten 87 or 88A and I can't believe how expensive a small sheet of plastic can be.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a 88A and 89B Hitech filters. I believe they have a frequency cutoff of 770 and 700 respectively. Can't remember what I paid for them, but they do work well. A plain red filter won't do much for the IR820.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I use the B+W IR filters... I think they're called 092's and are very dark red... much darker than my red filter. You need alot of light with these on... maybe around ISO 1. The filters are pricey.... what size do you need?
    -rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Why do they cost so much? The lens is pretty large in diameter, I'm not sure exactly, but I was planning on getting a 3x3 plastic one and using that.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    #87B is an opaque IR filter. I use it on Efke IR 4x5. You have to expose it at about EI 1.5.....yes, 1.5. So, on a sunny day, I get exposures at f/11@ 21 seconds (including reciprocity). Developed in Xtol stock for 14 to 16 minutes (20 C). Make sure you shoot backups.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

?????

I bought a brand new Hoya 720nm IR filter on eBay for $29.95. Not sure what the difference is between it and a $70.00-300.00 filter would be.

Rick

Shooter
    35mm
    Do you get IR folm easily?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    I bought a brand new Hoya 720nm IR filter on eBay for $29.95. Not sure what the difference is between it and a $70.00-300.00 filter would be.
    Me neither, but I can confirm from personal experience that a Hoya R72 with the Efke film works just fine. (I rate it a whole lot higher than some posters have suggested, but there just seems to be a lot of variation in the amount of available IR light in different locations and circumstances, so it's hard to make a generic pronouncement.)

It sounds like the OP wants a gel filter, though, and those do seem to run more expensive. I don't think Hoya make gels, do they?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have any developed but unexposed slide film frames? About three of those stacked is roughly equivalent to an R-72 filter. You will need to experiment to find the best EI.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I heard of this, but then I found a hoya 720 IR in 58mm size for 14.95 on ebay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin