Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,466   Online: 958

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    You don't say what size camera you are using.

I have hand held a 35mm with long telephoto at car races in the rain with a golf umbrella handle stuck down my shirt and caught under my belt. This was at the Grand Prix of Germany at Nurburgring about 1962, camping for three days of rain. People would approach laughing at the big red and white umbrella. As they got closer and saw I was dry and they were wet, they stopped laughing.

Today it is a little harder with the 7x17.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    JP, sounds like you need a larger umbrella.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You are looking for something like this: http://www.fotobrenner.de/default.as...0&MENPRO=&ES=0 There is a smaller version of this in the shop too. The shop is in Germany, may be you can find the product elsewhere.

Ulrich

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mekia02 View Post
    I did a search on this and only found 1 post about rain covers and there were no responses, so I thought I would ask this Q. Especially since I would like to submit to the MSA and it is currently raining outside.

Have you shot in the rain? How did you do it? I am thinking I would like to have a clear umbrella that attaches to some thing or I can stake in the ground and I could just shoot under it. Of course this would be in a light rain, with the rain falling straight down.
    What do you guys think?
    This is really easy – you get wet

How ever wet you might be, you should try and keep your equipment as dry as possible.

For 35mm & MF, keep the camera under your coat or if on a tripod use a plastic bag over the camera.

Take it out when you want to shoot and put it back on as soon as possible.

When shooting 5x4 my darkcloth is waterproof, so I drape it over the lens and body when ever possible

I always use a lens cap to keep water off the front element and filter.

Its important to keep your Camera Bag closed so your other equipment remains dry.

Don't bring your camera back into the car without it being sealed inside a zip lock bag - or you get condensation on it which takes ages to clear.

Personally, I use a Gortex coat with a hood to keep as dry as possible

I have never mastered the art of photographing with an umbrella as I need both hands and arms to operate the camera, plus I find an umbrella acts like a sail in all but the lightest of breezes

Shooting in the wet has many advantages – including fewer people around and rocks/pavement surfaces come "alive" with texture and tone.

The quality of light in the transition between sunshine and showers can be fabulous.

Have fun

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Best contraption - golf umbrella with handle down my back under my fly fishing vest with grip inside my belt.
    Worst contraption - giant (55 gallon) clear plastic trash bag over my head, front element of lens poking through a hole in the plastic

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    JP, sounds like you need a larger umbrella.
    I don't know. I am already finding it difficult to get under the dark cloth wearing the golf umbrella with the handle stuck down my shirt.

John

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Have you looked into a clamp-on umbrella? Go to the bottom of this web page http://naturalperl.com/_wsn/page2.html to see one. It clamps onto a tripod leg and has a stiff but flexible gooseneck to adjust position. They're $35 + shipping I believe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since I am planning on taking some close ups of plants and/or other inanimate objects I think I will try to rig a platform to hold the umbrella and just bring the camera out covered and take it out under the umbrella. I'll see how that goes.

And I will try it with 35mm first then when I perfect how I am going to do this I'll pull out the MF.
    Last edited by mekia02; 05-14-2009 at 01:02 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: to add camera type

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rain doesn't particularly trouble me or the camera, though rain on the lens front does; combined with fogging from the cold it can be quite a nuisance. If it's teeming down, I use a very tiny travel umbrella held above the camera when the exposure is made. During portage of the camera on the tripod in the rain, a waterproof nylon stuffsack (or better, a Hypalon seam-sealed bag) is slipped over the camera. One of these has yet to allow too much rain on the camera.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It rains a bit where I live...here's my method;

Take pack off and prop on feet - take out small tarp and lay on soaking ground - lay pack on tarp - fold tarp over pack to protect camera bag from rain - set up tripod - put focusing cloth on tripod then a small rain poncho over cloth - put 4x5 under cloth, attach to tripod, and open camera - tie strings on camera's carrying handle through holes in focusing cloth - (I cut my cloth into a triangular shape with the 'top' of the triangle chopped off so the cloths lens board ends reach below the focusing knobs - I did this so I can move around under the cloth and it won't slide off the camera in the rain) - then the lens goes on - then the small rain poncho's neck gets snapped around the lens so that it overhangs the lens slightly - then it's business as usual despite monsoon rains or four foot snowfalls in a day.

Murray

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin