Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,339   Online: 942

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Photographing in the Rain

I did a search on this and only found 1 post about rain covers and there were no responses, so I thought I would ask this Q. Especially since I would like to submit to the MSA and it is currently raining outside.

Have you shot in the rain? How did you do it? I am thinking I would like to have a clear umbrella that attaches to some thing or I can stake in the ground and I could just shoot under it. Of course this would be in a light rain, with the rain falling straight down.
    What do you guys think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used a big golf umbrella with my 4x5, a little tedious but doable. If you've got an extra set of hands to help it would be a breeze.

I also find shooting out from the edge of shelters to be a viable option. All the best. Shawn

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Hi:

I use disposable plastic cake pan covers over my camera body and lens. You can find in the baking section at the grocery store. They are made of clear plastic with an elastic string around the edge. I stretch it over the body and lens then I cut a small hole for the viewfinder and the end of the lens. They are cheap and light. I carry a couple in my camera bag so they are always on hand for rain or snow.

Shooter
    35mm
    Rain at night gives great results especially with street lights reflections on wet pavement.
    I used plastic bags to protect the material but I always found out that rain found a way to reach camera and lenses... There are special plastics sold for taking pictures at sea, tough.
    I prefer to hide under something.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Plastic drug/grocery/anywhere store bags.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like Shawn I find that an umbrella works quite well, and given that there is no high wind I usually have no problem handling the umbrella and setting up a camera on a tripod. But then again, an extra pair of hands makes things a lot easier.

Do not, under any circumstance, attach the umbrella to the tripod or on another contraption that might fall on the camera in a gush of wind…
    Last edited by Uhner; 05-06-2009 at 05:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Writing unencumbered by the thought process…

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    I've used a big golf umbrella with my 4x5, a little tedious but doable. If you've got an extra set of hands to help it would be a breeze.
    Same here. LF in the rain is painful without a shooting partner. Thankfully my wife is willing and able to hold a golf umbrella over me and my camera on those rare occasions when it has to be done. She can look at the scene and tell as well as I can, so it doesn't take a lot of convincing either. She's one in a billion; I'm an extremely lucky guy.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

I cover my cameras with a white plastic garbage bag. When shooting in salt spray near the ocean, I put a UV filter over my lens. I regularly clean the outside of all my camera gear with a silicone-impregnated "gun & reel cloth" sold at any sporting goods store. I find it helps cameras shed moisture a little. Makes 'em look nice and shiny, too.

The golf umbrella solution for windless rainy days is a good one. You might find a Bogen super clamp and articulated arm to hold it for you. It will clamp right on to a tripod leg.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For 35mm or MF, I use the shower caps from hotels and secure the open end around the lens hood with a rubber band. The plastic is usually clear enough to compose and focus without cutting a hole in it. I always try to snag a few extra from the maids' carts in the morning on my way out.

I haven't tried shoooting 4x5 in the rain. At least not on purpose . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Same here. LF in the rain is painful without a shooting partner. Thankfully my wife is willing and able to hold a golf umbrella over me and my camera on those rare occasions when it has to be done. She can look at the scene and tell as well as I can, so it doesn't take a lot of convincing either. She's one in a billion; I'm an extremely lucky guy.
    Bruce;

Make that 2 in a billion.

I've got the other one...
    See her at work at: www.classicBWphoto.com
    It wasn't raining steady that day, but the umrella was close by...

Reinhold

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin