Switch to English Language Passer en langue fran็aise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,468   Online: 912

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

When all else fails, Lubricate?

My H16 seems to work properly, but when I put a load of film through it, it sounds like it is running at 8 fps no matter what I set it at... What should I oil it with, if anything?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Give it a kick. It's just a clock. I would make sure everything is working, though. I thought my bolex was working until I opened it up to discover the takeup spool wasn't spinning and it had built up an accordion of film throughout the compartment, ruining an entire roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    Give it a kick. It's just a clock. I would make sure everything is working, though. I thought my bolex was working until I opened it up to discover the takeup spool wasn't spinning and it had built up an accordion of film throughout the compartment, ruining an entire roll.
    Ouch, I hope you got it fixed...

It didn't sound right to me, but I just developed a few frames from the tail of the roll, and they seem fine... So we'll see...
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The expression is "When all else fails,read the instructions"
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    why don't you find someone local who repairs them
    and take it to him / her instead of trying to self medicate it ?

sometimes folks that try to do things themselves mess things up even more ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most likely, your governor is stuck and needs to be cleaned of old, petrified lube and serviced.

I would not advise you disassemble this camera this yourself.

The spring in a H16 can take your head off. If you think I am kidding, just give it a try, but let someone know where you'd like to be buried before you open the case.

You might be able to remove the lenses and carefully slosh some solvent around in the gear train and spring box to try to free the governor, but you run the risk of getting dissolved lube in your viewfinder (assuming it is a reflex camera) OR detaching all your leatherette covering, or fill-in-the-blank...

Check with KEH, maybe they can clean and lube it, otherwise, start "Googling"!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The expression is "When all else fails,read the instructions"
    Instructions? I don't need no darn instructions! Can't let them Chinese get the better of me now, could I... lol.
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    why don't you find someone local who repairs them
    and take it to him / her instead of trying to self medicate it ?

sometimes folks that try to do things themselves mess things up even more ...
    Yes, I have a box of cameras that I "fixed". I have since learned from my mistakes... :rolleyes:
    Anything smaller than 4x5 is too complex for me to work on (and even then...)

The thing is, I was googling, and came across a copy of the manual. It said that when new the H16 had enough lubrication to go two years without oiling and then after that, apply some "fine chronograph oil to all visible moving parts/spindles".

Trying to get second opinions, don't you know
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What type of H16? Is it a 'round bottom?' If so, the spring may be weak. The spring for those older ones is not the same as the current Rex-5 spring. As of a few years ago, there was no suitable replacement. You might want to check to see if a replacement spring motor is available.

Here are a few things I did with one of my 'round bottom' cameras to make run better:
    a) I disassembled the governor and cleaned some goop out of there.
    b) I re-calibrated the speed dial using a clock and the built-in frame counter. (The numbers on the speed dial can be reset to wherever you want them)
    c) I believe I did clean an re-lube some other parts of the mechanism, but I don't recall offhand the specifics.

I found these pretty difficult. There are a lot of little tricks you need to know to get the mechanism in-and-out of the case without buggering up the shutter and the indicator dials. Also, getting it back in with all the levers working correctly is not straight-forward.
    Once the mechanism is out, separating the two halves to get to the spring motor will allow all the gears and shafts between the two halves to fall out. The drive sprockets can be difficult to remove, and the camera can have difficulty loading if they are out of synch when they are put back. After disassembly all the joints in the the camera body needs to be re-sealed or it will leak light.

From what I recall, the service manual is more like an exploded view, and is not that much help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes it is one with a round bottom. While it functions properly, and all speeds sound distinctly different when run with the cover off and no film in, when it has film loaded and the cover on, I cannot tell by ear one speed from another. While this may be just me, I thought that it was more likely that having a load to pull was somehow slowing down the camera a little bit. Am I wrong?
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin