Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,190   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Viewing Slides - how?

Hello!

I have recently started shooting slide film, and I think it's a really great way to evaluate my shots.

I have a small viewer for mounted slides (I don't have mine mounted) and it works really well, but it doesn't magnify enough for critical viewing. It's the kind with an opaque dome on one end, and the eyepiece on the other end, and the slide in between. But I need a way to see them bigger, and in more detail.

What do you suggest I look for? I would love to have some device that let me see it bigger, but still backlit.

I have of course considered a projektor, but I don't have space for one. Plus it's the whole backlight aspect that makes it interesting for me

Thank you,

Emil

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil View Post
    What do you suggest I look for? I would love to have some device that let me see it bigger, but still backlit.
    If space is an issue, a decent quality 8x loupe (magnifying eyepiece without a viewer attached) and a desktop light box (8x10 inches or so) ought to do the trick. For the light box, look for one with 5000K lamps.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When you say you don't have room for a projector, I assume you mean for the projector and screen and the space between them.

It is possible to buy a projector with its own integral screen which looks a bit like a portable TV and is about the same size.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Steve, I know the type of slide viewer you mention, but I haven't seen one that would accept unmounted slide film. Otherwise that would be awesome.

Where would one shop for a desktop light box?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really reccomend picking up a projector. It is the best way to view slides. You don't need too much room for one. They are pretty small and can just project onto the wall if you need them to.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not sure what you can do if you want to keep your slides un-mounted and, I assume, un-cut.

When I was at school (30 years ago) we had a projector which took 35mm film from reel to reel horizontally (stills, not movie). It looked a bit like a modern version of a lantern slide projector. Not much use if you don't have room for it though.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the input, all.
    For me it would be a lot of trouble cutting and mounting the slides, I am just looking for a way to evaluate before I have prints made or scanning.

Anyone here use a microscope for evaluating? How much (or little) magnification is needed to see the fine detail?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have a look for a Braun M330AF Novamat (or 350AF Paximat) monitor projector.

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/Product...oryid~225.html

You can project onto a wall or use the built-in screen that pops up. Extremely good. I have one and wouldn't be without it. I'm sure you'll be able to get one in Denmark.

Paul.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, that looks great (although a little expensive). 21x21cm screen! Do you know if it will take unmounted film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get a decent projector, used ones go for less than the cost of a good loupe. Kodak Carousels are the standard and have a stack loader accessory. 60mm WA retrofocus lenses are available for getting a large screen image in a small space. Some Kodaks have a built-in flip-out monitor screen.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin