Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,730   Online: 853

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Biking with Hasselblad

I want to make a bike trip to Norway. The region I want to go to is one way at least 1000 km from here. And I want to take my 500MC with Distagon and Sonnar and my SWC with me. I have padded my saddle bags with 3 cm thick sponge rubber. Will my equipment survive the transport? Who is experienced in biking with camera stuff?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can't say for sure but I think your sponge padding in a saddlebag is more than the cameras would have originally enjoyed whilst beinmg shipped, flown and trucked around the world to dealers.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 05-19-2009 at 05:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    In five months I rode over 2000 miles with a 4x5. This include a lot of gravel roads and some high speed descents over washboard roads -- and one over-the-handlebars crash. No extra padding for the camera gear other than the usual for carrying it around. No problems. I still use the equipment 22 years later.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    When I bicycled through France many years ago, I had my Olympus OM-1 in my handlebar bag for easy access. I later found that heat buildup had altered the colors on the film. So my recommendation is that you pay particular attention to keeping your film cool. Not much shade on a bicycle.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'd recommend a large day pack for the cameras to be worn on your body. The vibration of a bicycle can do a considerable amount of damage to a 35 mm or medium format camera. Pack other stuff on the bike, but use your body to isolate the bike's movement from the camera gear.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A friend of mine carries a hassy in his saddle bag every mile he puts on the hog.

Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Another thing to think about...if (when) you crash, would you rather have a hard object in a pack on your back when you land, or have that hard object in a pannier. And where would it best for the camera to be in that situation?

The two times I have crashed, I have rolled and have been able to reduce the damage to my body -- I don't think I would have done as well with a pack on with a camera body in it.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have no advice to offer but a request:
    Please do keep us informed of your undertaking as I too have a bicycle and cameras (including the aforementioned Hasselblad) that I want desperately to combine together in a comfortable way. And I am not the only one as I also know two brothers, photographers-cyclists, preparing for some serious touring.
    The camera bags I have are not perfect for the bicycle (either on one's back or on a rack) and my experiments in combining the protective material of a camera bag with a regular backpack have been awkward and non practical at best.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    In five months I rode over 2000 miles with a 4x5. This include a lot of gravel roads and some high speed descents over washboard roads -- and one over-the-handlebars crash. No extra padding for the camera gear other than the usual for carrying it around. No problems. I still use the equipment 22 years later.

Vaughn
    That's really not a fair assessment. A 4x5 camera is essentially a box with few moving parts, none of which are particularly small or delicate. Aside from a cracked ground glass, anything that gets loose or out of alignment can be usually be set straight with a screwdriver and a couple of wrenches. A Hasselblad is a different animal with lots of very small and very precisely made and fitted parts. I'm not saying that it is a particularly delicate instrument. These things are known to take some abuse and keep going. But they do require regular servicing that is often beyond the capabilities of the average camera user. A 4x5 camera can be serviced by a smart chimp.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There is a mirror cover/stabilizer for my rb, which you can put on for shipping. I guess a similar implement must be available for a hassie. That might be helpful.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin