Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,168   Online: 831

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod Sling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Tripod Sling

How do you usually carry your tripod? I don't feel safe by slinging my 'pod with my 8x10 on it over my shoulder, and if I'm going to carry it separately, how do I go about doing it?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I pack up my 4x5 gear after each photograph and cradle the tripod (a Zone VI 'lightweight' which runs about 9 pounds) in my arms. I find if it gets propped against the top of my pack sacks waist belt, the belt carries some of the weight. It's too big to lash on my pack because it gets hung up on branches so that leaves me with few choices, but I suffer gladly because I like it so much. I find it serves other purposes when it's handy, such as a support while crossing creeks or going up or down steep slopes.

Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I usually have one of three packs with me. Two of them are Lowepro and they have a system for attaching my tripod pretty securely. The third is a regular backpack that has loops on the bottom. It works ok since my tripod is relatively small, but it can catch on trees/bushes if I'm on a narrow trail.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I stopped attaching the tripod on my Lowepro backpack, as the weight was way too of-balance (far behind my back). I now carry the tripod on one shoulder, without the camera as it does not feel secure nor balanced to have the pod + my tachihara to carry that way.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's a Manfrotto tripod, Manfrotto makes a custom shoulder strap which works well, though a top-heavy tripod (because of the head, for example) can cause some unbalancing. If that's so, Manfrotto also make a carry-along strap, so you carry the tripod beside you like you might carry a suitcase. OpTech also makes excellent tripod portage straps but I'm not sure of there availability in the UAE.

I don't recommend attaching a tripod to your backpack; it adds a lot of unstable weight, catches on vegetation, can bump people behind you and is a general hindrance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    If it's a Manfrotto tripod, Manfrotto makes a custom shoulder strap which works well, though a top-heavy tripod (because of the head, for example) can cause some unbalancing.
    Perhaps turn a top-heavy tripod upside down while carrying it?

I use a padded strap from a discarded camera bag to carry my tripod around, usually just slinging it over the shoulder. Works well, even with a (smallish) Lowe backpack on my back.
    Søren

"We are much more likely to act our way into a new way of thinking than think our way into a new way of acting." - R. Pascale

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got nice 5" wide strap from an army store that I use as a shoulder strap for my tripod. I cross my tripod and shoulder bag so weight is more balanced. Tripod's head is kept down. Very comfortable and quick.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a relatively small Manfrotto tripod that I carry around in my hand (the legs are padded), but I'm guessing my opinion doesn't really matter here cause I've never shot 8x10 :P

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My Manfrotto 055 has a ring for the strap of my guitar-case.
    Works good.

Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I carry it with a strap, usually head down. I'm currently using a Kinesis strap for my large tripod.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin