Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,728   Posts: 1,515,219   Online: 956

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Using calculators for photographic ends

Rereading the thread I started on reciprocity of available sheet films, I started thinking about using a calculator for other purposes related to photography. For instance, after calculating reciprocity failure, one could then run a count-down timer to time the exposure. Another use might be to calculate f-stop timing intervals from a spreadsheet or matrix of pre-existing numbers. Say enter 6 seconds at the minimum time and 12 as the end time, with 1/4 stop intervals, produces a list; 1.9, 1.6, 1.4, 1.1, 6. etc.

Would those with more experience in using programmable calculators care to comment on these thoughts?

Tom.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I regularly use an ordinary pocket calculator (HP-32s) to compute bellows factors. I guess I could write a short program to automate it somewhat...just never bothered.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did a lot of high magnification work, and had a calculator always at the ready.
    Made a small computer program that did all the different calculations i need in one go.

A version of that program, tailored to Zeiss/Hasselblad lenses, is online.

Still want to port it to run on PDAs, but haven't gotten round to it.

Reciprocity failure is to 'unruly' to capture in a calculator.

Images
    Good Morning,

I use a calculator to determine changes in print-exposure times when I change sizes. Much of the time, experience gives me what I need, but the calculator provides reassurance.

Konical

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    I did a lot of high magnification work, and had a calculator always at the ready.
    Made a small computer program that did all the different calculations i need in one go.

A version of that program, tailored to Zeiss/Hasselblad lenses, is online.

Still want to port it to run on PDAs, but haven't gotten round to it.

Reciprocity failure is to 'unruly' to capture in a calculator.
    Can't be any worse than scratch-writing a Fortran program for Simpson's Rule and that's not difficult (assuming a suitable quantity of adult beverages) ...

Couldn't reciprocity failure be expressed as one would a limit? (think beginnings of the calculus - not the stuff on one's teeth).
    Last edited by Frank Szabo; 05-20-2009 at 01:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Frank,

See: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6...eet-films.html - relating to the calculation of reciprocity failure.

Tom.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Reciprocity is for each film diferent.
    I gues you are better of with a little cardboard with those data for the films you use most.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter,

In the thread I linked to Patrick Gainer discusses a formula for working out the needed increase in exposure to account for reciprocity failure, using a correction factor derived for each film type.

Tom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Szabo View Post
    Couldn't reciprocity failure be expressed as one would a limit? (think beginnings of the calculus - not the stuff on one's teeth).
    The important bit in this reciprocity failure thing is expressed by the word failure.
    If there was an easy rule, an unequivocal relation, a simple formula, Bunsen and Roscoe would have found it ages ago.

You can explore the behaviour of films, and compile tables.

But - and this is important - you cannot (!) calculate reciprocity failure.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ive written a few small ones as needed for my cell phone, as its usually always there and with me, and less to carry around to not need the calculator.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin