Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,964   Posts: 1,523,310   Online: 1229

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would New Zealand be even more expensive then? Apart from transport costs, why do you think ILFORD products cost so much more in Australia? In the UK Kodak colour sheet film is far more expensive than the USA retail prices.

Tom.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Matt,
    addendum: Warehouse Express seem to have a good price on the Kodak E6 5 litre kit (£26.95)

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...px?sku=1022130
    That's half the price of anywhere else, and only £3.99 shipping! Very tempting to order a couple even if I don't need one right now.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan160 View Post
    That's half the price of anywhere else, and only £3.99 shipping! Very tempting to order a couple even if I don't need one right now.

Ian
    I'm very tempted, too!

Does anyone know the keeping properties of the kit, either unopened, or
    with the concentrates part used?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Well the price for the same product here, is around the £60 mark!"

The cheapest place (online store) here in NZ wants the equivalent of £62, I am sure when I visit the Auckland photo shops tomorrow I'll find they're probably at least 20% more expensive

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bill spears View Post
    I remember the Jessops at Plymouth when they were located in the Armada shopping centre and I was just getting into photography - couldn't keep myself away. Even though it's a 50 mile drive, it was worth it to stock up on Record Rapid and drool over all the secondhand med format in the window which I thought I'd never be able to afford !!

Is London Camera exchange still going there ? Guess they're all digi aswell.
    The Armada Centre shop was opened as Plymouth's second Jessops, the first one in Cornwall Street having taken over the premises of Tom Molland Ltd some years earlier. The LCE in Frankfort Gate is still going, though mainly digi as you say. Manager is still Dave Hall (who seems to have been there since the year dot) and the other staff, though young, are very knowledgeable and helpful about proper photography, and interesting items from the good old days do still appear in the shop window from time to time. I normally buy my Ilford paper and chemicals from the LCE, which is usually considerably cheaper than Jessops.

Best wishes,
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last time I was in the Norwich LCE a couple of years ago they didn't stock analogue photography materials. However I have noticed some serious medium format gear on their used list recently so I don't know what the current situation is.

Tom.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Last time I was in the Norwich LCE a couple of years ago they didn't stock analogue photography materials. However I have noticed some serious medium format gear on their used list recently so I don't know what the current situation is.
    Pretty much all digital on Timber Hill now apart from a couple of s/h Mamiya RZ kits in the window. If you want chemicals & paper, they will send you to WarehouseExpress or Jessops. A limited range of film stocked, and some of the staff are trad users.

For a company that appears to get quite a bashing, Jessops (Norwich) isn't too bad - OK, the staff know bugger all about film^Wphotography, but they do stock a reasonable selection of paper & film (including 5x4).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom, Ilford products are expensive, within reason they always have been and I believe always will be.

The reason is simple, it is a very well manufactured product, their supply lines are very well run, the product range is, in this day and age, very good, this all costs.

The Australian distributor of Ilford products is a family business that has a record of distributing and/or importing, excellent photographic lines, this does cost.

That said, they have always appeared to be have an extremely expensive pricing structure. Effectively the Australian market is closed and therefore captive to them.

NZ is basically in the same, if not identical situation as it is the same company that distributes there IIRC.

The really galling situation is that shortly after Ilford collapsed, then eventually it became Harmon, the current distributor was chosen, fine. However, about six months after the company was importing Ilford B&W film and paper lines, there was absolutely no reference on their website about this. About two years later, you still could not find any reference to any Ilford B&W film or paper on their website.

Now to current pricing, remember, in this country, unless someone is going under or you really purchase shed loads of stuff, nobody gets a discount here.

Kodak Supra Endura 8x10 colour paper, 100 sheets $111.98

Ilford MG IV RC Deluxe 8x10 B&W paper, 100 sheets $118.66

Ilford MG FB 1K DW 8x10 B&W paper, 100 sheets $158.51

Tetenal TT Baryt Vario DW 8x10 B&W paper $116.60

All prices in Australian Dollars.

Film is slightly better, Tri X is $7.15 a roll of 120, this is the cheapest of the big three companies offerings, Fuji Neopan is midway and Ilford HP5+ is the dearest at $8.48 a roll.

I purchased 5 rolls of 120 Tri X today for a job I require it for. I will order my next lot of Ilford roll film from the USA, as per usual.

My next order of Ilford sheet film will be from the USA as well, the landed price delivered to my door, is close to 49% cheaper for the same product I purchase here.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul,

Last time I was in Jessops the sales assistant told me film was going away... (as I purchased a pro-pack of T-Max 400)!

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mick,

The Kodak Supra Endura pack you mentioned is about 32 AUD ex VAT here.

Tom.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin