Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,010   Online: 864

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    Another good reason to drink wine, not pop, in the darkroom!
    I second that. Still, after reading this thread, I get a little nervous. I often have a glass of wine in the darkroom and, of course, I try to be careful, but maybe in the future I will put the glass on a little table in the corner, on the other side from my negs. I don't want to spill it and have to go through this kind of torture, even if wine is less nasty than sugary pop. I will also keep it well away from any chemistry. I don't want to tone in French red (which might have an interesting effect) while drinking selenium (which won't have a desirable effect).
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation"

Shooter
    Large Format
    A) Fill tray with warm (80 F) distilled water.
    B) Lay sleeve and negatives in tray. Allow to soak an hour.
    C) Place tray in sink
    D) Attach rinse hose to sink spigot and turn on. You want a mild stream flowing from the hose.
    E) Aim hose end at each "row" of sleeve, water flow will open sleeve and flush across negative.
    F) Use hand to gently extract negative
    G) Place negative in tray of distilled water at room temp. Rinse 5 mins.
    H) Treat with photoflo and hang to dry.

Coke has Phosphoric Acid in it, which may attack the emulsion surface. This removal technique doesn't address that problem.

NWG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bumping and old thread... I've just had valve in a pipe in the ceiling of my basement break, sending a cascade of water into the darkroom! Arrgh... There were several sheets of negatives on the counter that got partially wet, so now I'm going to try to and extract them (at least the ones worth saving), and I'm just so pleased to have found some good information here!! This is going to be a bit tedious, I'd say, but other then being a little soggy, the darkroom seems to have fared ok, with the exception of some ceiling tiles and wet fiberglass insulation. Ugh!!

I have nothing substantive to add... just wanted a little company for my misery!

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just remember not to let the negatives sit wet for too long or the emulsion will lift off of the backing! Get them out of their sleeves and drying as soon as possible.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Mike, will do, though I've had to order new sleeves, but they should arrive tomorrow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's it. I'm waterproofing my dark room
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm going to store my perishables up high and away from pipes. A good dehumidifier would come in handy as well.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

DISASTER PLEASE HELP

Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    I'm going to store my perishables up high and away from pipes. A good dehumidifier would come in handy as well.
    I love how we are using "perishables" referring to film stuffs not food stuffs haha

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    127 Format
    Makes me think a little fireproof/waterproof safe might be handy for storing negatives in.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lesson One - Dont store negatives near water.
    Lesson Two - Scan them - at least you have something
    Don't tell the digital people that we lost some negatives, we spend a lot of time telling them how easy it is to lose a digital file, and in reality its just as easy to lose negatives.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin