Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,521   Posts: 1,572,233   Online: 837

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    How to dress like a photographer?

New York or LA ?

Faded ripped jeans. converse sneakers or some rare Nike's. Black T-shirt. Rolex.
    I have never understood why people buy jeans which have been purposefully damaged...

Tom.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Actually I'd like to dress like a photographer... just not that one.
    This one, please.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/george_...se/2720793926/

Been toying with getting a seamstress to make me a dress like that one... I'll make the pretty painted backdrop and buy one of those "bee" watson exposure meters which i think is what's hanging from her chest in an unladylike manner
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    You will also need a tripod or a monopod to use as a walking stick.

Camera bling is a good touch: Wide, normal and telephoto Rolleis hanging on the neck all worn at the same time or a gold plated Leica or Hasselblad with red, yellow, blue or green covers.

Steve
    You forgot a $7000 linhof master technika. A classic or jubilee version. It's also good for self defense if needed

$600 for the gitzo vest is too much. I wouldn't spend that for the vest, even If I had millions!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You guys in 'continental' type climates have it easy as, relatively speaking, weather systems move slower than they do on smaller islands / at the coast.

In the UK (especially in the hills / mountains) we need to carry everything from a thin t-shirt, via warmth layers to a water and wind proof outer layer at any time of the year. We can have 4 seasons in a day, twice-over, if we're unlucky.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, you missed the fine print: a $600 Gitzo vest comes with the guarantee that you will become a better photographer. There was a line-up for this item last time when I looked.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    35mm
    People keep giving me photographers vests. I have 4 or 5 and have refused the last 3 or 4 offers. I can't find anything in them. twenty pockets means twenty places to look for something, and I'm always laying or leaning on something that shouldn't be crushed. Get a good jacket that works and keep your kit in a camera bag or pack, unless you have the kind of mind that works well with multiple pockets. I can't see how appearing to be a fumbling moron while looking for a filter makes me a better photographer at any price point.

When I'm looking to look cool I put a Gitzo sticker on my forehead, although I cant do that with 4x5 because when I'm shooting I lick the dark slide and stick it to my forehead while I make the shot. When I'm wearing the Gitzo sticker the dark slide won't stick, so I have to hold it, set it on the camera, or put it in a pocket. Then I look like an idiot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're shooting on the highways now, it's a bile-orange vest.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by C A Sugg View Post
    If you're shooting on the highways now, it's a bile-orange vest.
    ... and if you're shooting an orgy, then its a lather vest, garter belt and fishnet stockings (so you have places to hang your film and lenses from).
    35mm rangefinder photographers on the street should blend in with the crowds and move around like phantoms, studio portraitists should look distinguished and elegant, editorial photographers will always look like college rejects and LF landscapists should either go for the cowboy hat, or the facial hair extremes: covered like a bush or smooth like a lightbulb.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jenkin View Post
    You guys in 'continental' type climates have it easy as, relatively speaking, weather systems move slower than they do on smaller islands / at the coast.

In the UK (especially in the hills / mountains) we need to carry everything from a thin t-shirt, via warmth layers to a water and wind proof outer layer at any time of the year. We can have 4 seasons in a day, twice-over, if we're unlucky.
    And I don't appreciate much the fact of being in a Mediterranean climate I'm in the coast, but went last weekend to mountainside (Pyrenees).
    Summer (right now) is a killer here, a little movement and you already find yourself sweating. Midday in the mountains last weekend was horrible, hot, and staying a bit in the sun feels like being fried. Thank god that shadows were cool, but in the coast it's almost the same to be or not to be in a shadow space. Though I wouldn't like to be on a northern climate in winter.
    I believe that carrying any photo vest is not a very good idea right now here.

The worst of the climate now is that I don't see anything special; Sunsets are really boring, the sky is all the day blue, and there are few clouds, that merge with the light blue of the sky. I'm awaiting fall/autumn; Sadly, in fall I'm again at h.school and don't have time to photograph much, specially that I won't go much to the mountainside, that is wonderful.
    Last edited by Prest_400; 06-17-2009 at 12:00 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added things

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Speaking of hot climates, I recently discovered that the cycling jersey may be a really excellent garment as it breathes hundred times better than cotton shirts, can be opened in front for extra air conditioning and has the very convenient pockets in the back for your film and small accessories.
    Of course one has to pick the more normal looking ones, not the race tight shirts with the eye gouging garish colors.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin