Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,378   Online: 1074

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

How to isolate from motorcycle vibration?

I have picked up that several on this board do or have done some motorcycle touring. I'm wondering what you do to isolate your cameras from the high frequency vibration of the machine?

Many years ago I had mysterious problems with base plate screws that would not stay put in my Nikons. Finally traced the likely cause to the vibration being transmitted through the bare metal floorboards of my VW. Started keeping the camera bag on the passenger side seat and the screws quit falling out so much.

So what's a comparable fix for the two-wheeler?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You could try foam in several densities......

My bike-rides just go through town (Goiânia, Brazil) and have not had any problems so far.....

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of the best insulators is the human body. Sooo.... Foam may work OK but I'm thinking(yeah, right) something along the lines of an isolating gel. You can find it on most online motorcycle shops or even bicycle shops in the form of seat pads. I've seen quite a few at resale shops for a buck or two. Probably the cheapest way to try it. I think this may be available in some healthcare wraps too, maybe in larger sizes.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Maybe even a good pouch for you camera that you can strap tighter on your body. Not sure which camera you're working with. Just my $.02.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use foam padding in the camera bag/carrying case to dampen the vibration.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Just a small data point: wrapping your Rollie in your sleeping bag and strapping it to your handlebars leads to lens separation

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ride with a cam all the time and the bike is 40 years old so the suspension is not on par with modern bikes. I find the best place is well padded in a tank bag as this positions the camera between the axles rather than right on top of them. Personally, I don't recommend carrying anything on your body at all. This can lead to serious injuries, even in what might otherwise be a minor spill.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    I ride with a cam all the time and the bike is 40 years old so the suspension is not on par with modern bikes. I find the best place is well padded in a tank bag as this positions the camera between the axles rather than right on top of them. Personally, I don't recommend carrying anything on your body at all. This can lead to serious injuries, even in what might otherwise be a minor spill.

Tank bag with 2-3 inches of foam in the bottom was my first idea.

Is there anything purpose built that can be bought?

Me scooter isn't quite 40 but its close - 1976 Super Glide.

I agree about not carrying anything on the body. I've tried riding with back packs a time or two and it just seems all out of balance and clumsey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That should work. I have never had any problems with the cameras I've carried. In addition to the padding, make sure the camera is otherwise securely padded around it so it can't move. Bad enough to have the road shock, but you don't want secondary shocks from bouncing around.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Move to the largest cubic inch/four stroke bike you can find.

Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin