Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,932   Posts: 1,585,461   Online: 1031

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    GJA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Its sad. I would pay more than a days salary for a portrait of a random Afghan shot in this style. He should start a mail order business.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    These guys seem very similar to the amazing street photographers in Havana. They too use hand-made box cameras complete with little trays of developer, fix, and squares of photo paper...best dollar I ever spent down there.
    Well, if Afghanistan had been anything close to a "normal" country, with which I mean a relative peaceful and hospitable place to visit, it is clear these photographers would never have run out of business. A steady stream of tourists visiting the capital would keep the business going indefinitely.

What tourist wouldn't have liked to have his picture taken by such a retro-style photographer with these beautiful cameras?... The photographers would be part of the local custom, an interesting thing to take pictures of, and take souvenirs from, just like a Dutch windmill, or Russian Matryoshka doll.

Now, for the Afghans themselves struggling to survive and make up for decades of war, it's just another piece of ballast to get rid off..
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Its very sad to see these guys having to stop what they love doing.

I had my picture taken with a friend while traveling in Peru a few years ago by a street photographer just like those described in the article. It was a great trill. The little photograph had such a retro feel to it that we looked like explorers from the 1950's.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I hope that Kiwi finds his way back to this photographer.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It makes me want to build a box camera. 8x10 point and shoot with fixed focus and guesstimate view. Or ground glass back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin