Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,941   Online: 981

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Reducing camera shake - strength training?

I'm curious as to which muscle groups are of the greatest import in determining one's ability to hand-hold a camera.

Has anybody on APUG undertaken strength training in the interest or reducing camera shake when hand-holding larger MP cameras, such as the RB67/RZ67 or Pentax 67?

I'm moving towards building a medium format system beyond my current Yashicatmat. I'm not overfond of the 6x6 format for certain applicatioins and would prefer a 6x7 system, but all of these are rather more heavy than (e.g.) a Bronica SQ-series camera & lens.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    I'm curious as to which muscle groups are of the greatest import in determining one's ability to hand-hold a camera.
    My guess would be hands, forearms and upper arms. Legs too if the camera is extra heavy!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It is not about strength, but more about breath control and a smooth release of the shutter, not a jab.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is what you need, albeit perhaps slightly modified:

http://www.nightvision.com.au/produc...VAD2MV-Headkit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    It is not about strength, but more about breath control and a smooth release of the shutter, not a jab.
    exactly!
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It does of course involve postural / "slow twitch" strength, as opposed to "fast twitch" strength. Slow, smooth, toning exercises will be beneficial. All over toning and endurance-related exercise (sculling was very beneficial to me, overall) will help with the breathing and concentration. Isometrics may help as well.

Exercises focused on burst strength are less likely to beneficial.

For the very best results, a timer or remote release is advisable; finger impulse to the shutter button is never beneficial... unless of course you want blur...
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Precision rifle and handgun shooters have similar requirements for steadiness from shake as photographers. Handguns can weigh as much as 3 pounds and rifles 10 pounds. Shooters tend to practice in positions that use "Bone on bone support" more than muscle support as it is more steady and does not fatigue. They practice "Breath control, sight picture, trigger squeeze and follow through". Photographers can use breath control, shutter squeeze and follow through equally to their advantage. Strength, flexability, posture and proper breathing are to be desired. Pro shooters also claim that caffene and tobacco affects vision and contributes to unsteadiness. The most obvious muscle groups would be lower back, traps and front deltoids.
    All the best,
    Sam H.
    Last edited by Samuel Hotton; 06-29-2009 at 08:55 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a tripod! I'm a lazy SOB!

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Up to a point, a heavier camera will shake less than a light one due to inertia. Once you aproach the point at which your muscles start complaining though, the shake will increase.

I do not do any training for hand holding my RB67 other than taking it out and using it.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Up to a point, a heavier camera will shake less than a light one due to inertia. Once you aproach the point at which your muscles start complaining though, the shake will increase.

I do not do any training for hand holding my RB67 other than taking it out and using it.

Steve.
    Steve,

What is the slowest shutter speed you've been able to use to hand-hold your RB67?

Thanks
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin