Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,853   Online: 969

Shooter
    Multi Format

Arca-Swiss B1G or Z1?

Good morning;

Are there comments available comparing the Arca-Swiss older B1G Ball Head with their currently available Z1 Ball Head?

Anyone use either one, or both, that can offer comments or a comparison?

Alternatively, are there any other suggestions for a head to use with a 5 by 4 view camera?
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I purchase a used Arca Swiss Monoball, and love it. I think its the B1. I looked into the Chinese ones and came to realization that they are crap made to look good, like a lot of their stuff. I also purchased used but like new, a Graft Mini Studioball, and its smaller but also very nice.

Anyway, before the Arca Swiss, I had been using the Bogen's with the Hex plates. Not very smooth, and movement after locking down the ball. Very glad I got the Arca Swiss, paid about $122 a year or so ago.

Like a lot of things, used but working is better than new but poorly made.

Good Luck
    Last edited by fotch; 07-06-2009 at 01:53 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grammer, spelling
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't see much difference between the B1G and the Z1 system. But whatever one you choose, I would get the quick release that tightens with a thumb screw, as opposed to the quick lock lever. The thumb screw allows for a wider variety of plate sizes, and can be tightened very tightly.

I have the B1G and the B2, and I've used both with 8x10 and 7x17. If you happen to find a used B1g, Precision Camera Repair can easily (and cheaply) bring it up to new specs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have the newer model with the screw device to secure the rail/plate. Great tripod head. I am not sure but I think that the price for a new item is actually cheaper for the Z1.

resummerfield, I am thinking of using my Z1 ballhead with an older model Arca 8x10 camera. I have both items but have not had a chance to use them. In your experience, is that viable? I really don't want to pay the money for a B2 if I don't have to. Thanks.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    ......I am thinking of using my Z1 ballhead with an older model Arca 8x10 camera. I have both items but have not had a chance to use them. In your experience, is that viable? I really don't want to pay the money for a B2 if I don't have to. Thanks.
    The Z1 should be fine with the Arca 8x10. I slightly loosen the quick release knob and slide the Arca rail to balance the camera on the ballhead, making adjustments easier.

I prefer the B2 because leveling and adjusting each axis independently seems easier for me. But I have used the my Arca 8x10 on the B1G and it works fine.

Actually I bought the B1G so I could do vertical shots with a Canham 7x17. The Canham camera is the weak link in this setup, and I must be very gentle because the Canham wants to tear itself apart when tilted 90 degrees. And I use this setup on a very sturdy wooden survey tripod with the legs deeply set in the ground!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    FYI, both the ARCA-SWISS B1G and B2 were discontinued several years ago. They are occasionally available on the used market, but neither are currently available new.

Photo Clam offers an extra large ballhead, the PC-74NS (74mm ball diameter), that is similar in size to the discontinued B1G. Anyone looking for a Really Big ballhead, may want to give it a look. It is indeed massive, and combined with an equally massive tripod, should hold just about anything you'd care to mount on it. You can see the specs on it here:

http://reallybigcameras.com/PhotoClam/PC-74NS.htm

There is a user review here with several photos of this ballhead with a 600mm f4 super telephoto lens that weighs 5.36kg/11.8 lbs. (warning - digital content alert!):

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=659036

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin