Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,515   Online: 774

Thread: Polarizers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Polarizers

Recently I've started to shoot a lot of color in MF and LF, and I have a cheap Rokunar polarziser that fits most of my lenses, but it is a POC, with a decided blue tinge. I've noticed that there are a lot of new polarizers, from Hoya and others, with special anti reflection coatings and anti-scratch coatings, but I have no experience with them. I'd prefer a neutral filter, but if not slightly warm is better than slightly cold. Any suggestions? My largest diameter lens is my 120 F8 super angulon with 82mm threads. 67mm would fit most of my other lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is a POC? The only guess I could come up with is Piece of Crap, and something tells me that is not what you meant.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Charles, you got it with the first try!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a Moose's warming circular polariser (Hoya, I think) in a bayonet fitting for my MF outfit. It has been very good.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Have a B&W CPL MRC filter, is neutral (Minolta Colormeter III), works good, bit pricy though.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter, Does it clean ok?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try another polarizing filter or a warming polarizing filter.

Note to self: add POC to LOAA.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaN95_8GB/30.0.018; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I have used both hoya and cokin filters and have always been very happy with them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, including those PM'd to me.

Yep, I'm going to try a different polarizer filter. I'm resigned to paying quite a bit of money for one, but since that's the case, I want to make sure I get a really good one. In fact I already have 4 polarizer filters, a 49mm Zeiss Jena, a 52mm Tiffen Warm, a 55mm Tiffen, and a 67mm Rokunar. That's also the order of my preference. In addition, I have a bunch of other filters, Tiffen, Nikon, B+W, Heliopan, Hoya, Rollei, Kodak..., and I do slightly prefer the brass-ringed filters. My experience is that regular glass filters are fairly easy to clean. I know how to clean lenses, as I read Richard Knoppow harping on this on Usenet for years. (Brush off dust. Roll lens paper into a tube. Tear in half...) The problem is the coated filters, especially the early Tiffen and B+W MC ones, which even after careful cleaning don't come clean. My main question is have any of the newer MC filters solved this problem? See Photobugs "review" at: http://www.amazon.com/Heliopan-77mm-.../dp/B0000BZLPW to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

My second question has to do with neutrality. Some of you may remember an article in one of the photo mags, probably way back in the 1990s, about polarizers. Simply place all of the various ones on a light table, and you will quickly see that they aren't all the same color. Back then, some brand's warm version was actually more neutral than their regular version. My Rokunar is definitely on the cool side, and I don't need a Minolta color meter to figure that out, although I might have one of those meters lying around somewhere. Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy one of each of the filters to see which ones are really neutral or slightly warm.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin