Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,847   Online: 699

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    this whole discussion about zooms versus primes and quality of glass kind of reminds me of a programme beloved in this part of the world called Top Gear, a car fanatics show. and a bit like lens and the cost they put a race driver into a standard family car around a circuit and he of course makes it outperform it's design. They then put mr average in a super expensive sports car and he of course hardly get's anywhere.

For me at the end of the day most bad photographs have way more to do with poor subject & composition, poor focus & exposure than anything to do with the lens. like the old adage " a good workman never blames his tools".

Criticising others people gear is just fundamentally rude as people invest a lot... Now I must confess I do this on a regular basis whenever I get in conversation on the street with someone who is arrogant and has €2000 or so worth of Digital SLR hanging off their neck. It kinda goes like this.

ME:"wow how much was all that?"
    Answer: about €2000 in total,
    ME: and what megapixel is it?
    Answer: 12
    ME really- wow (holding up Minolta autocord TLR) This cost me €100 and has a resolution of around 50 or so megapixels give or take 20% variance. And the glass is legendary.
    Answer: (none, usually a sullen silence)

I am asking for a full pardon from the APUG Moral Police as I only do this to exceptionally arrogant digital users....
    Simplicius

"defying gravity since 1898"

My Flickr Account

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    The full story was I showed up at a social gathering with a beat-up 4 EUR Olympus Trip from the flea market while she had a digi EOS with f3.5-4.5 zoom.

I am known to be a serious about my photography and she asked why I would use something so old and tatty. So I explained that even single use camera can turn out good photos at f8 and that even the Trip 35 has a f2.8 lens and has light gathering power better than most zooms on the market these days. She doesn't know what an aperture is so I elaborated on it.... well, that didn't go down well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    ...she asked why I would use something so old and tatty. So I explained that even single use camera can turn out good photos at f8 and that even the Trip 35 has a f2.8 lens and has light gathering power better than most zooms on the market these days. She doesn't know what an aperture is so I elaborated on it.... well, that didn't go down well.
    Well there ya go. Not only does she NOT know, she doesn't WANT to know, yet still wants to fire arrows despite her empty quiver. You persisted in reasoning with her long after the point at which her ignorance was confirmed by her own words.

Continuing to deal reasonably with the incorrigibly ignorant causes one to feel rage and frustration at the impenetrability of that ignorance. Cocksure ignorance is even more annoying.

Seriously, life's too short even to talk to her or folks like her.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Him, looking at my gear: "Wow, an F1. Why don't you go digital?"
    Me: "I did. I went back."
    Him, holding up his 5D2: "This'll do (natter natter)..."
    Me: "Nice. Mine'll do exactly what I want."

Pretty much the end of the discussion.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    Well there ya go. N
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    ot only does she NOT know, she doesn't WANT to know, yet still wants to fire arrows despite her empty quiver. You persisted in reasoning with her long after the point at which her ignorance was confirmed by her own words.

Continuing to deal reasonably with the incorrigibly ignorant causes one to feel rage and frustration at the impenetrability of that ignorance. Cocksure ignorance is even more annoying.

Seriously, life's too short even to talk to her or folks like her.
    Women are like buses ...

a new one comes along every five minutes.

or is it busses?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin